Duck bill questions

Launchpad

Songster
May 24, 2022
Central Texas
Hello all
So while making sure we don't get sucked into tornadoes here in Central Texas (they all went north near Dallas) but we for notice something on the bill of Niles, Pekin male about 7 months old. Pictured here:

It seems like scabs? They have a rough texture. Is this something that is normal and I can treat with ointment etc or should I worry about this and take more drastic action?

Also, while here, is the discoloration of the bills normal? Specifically Frasier, a 5 month male cayuga
Just wondering if bills can have coloration changes like this or if it could be a deficiency or anything like that

As always, thanks for any and all help/info/ thoughts

Attachments

• 20221104_220245.jpg
    20221104_220245.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20221104_220235.jpg
    20221104_220235.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221104_220413.jpg
    20221104_220413.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 16
Looks like he may have scraped his bill on something. When my gander punctured his bill I put ACV with mother into his drinking bucket and it healed fine. ACV has some antibacterial properties. You can put some ointment on but with the way they always have their faces in water it most likely won't stay on long.

Not sure about your Cayuga bill, I know bills can change color get spots etc but I'll tag @shawluvsbirds she has Cayuga.

Idk about the spots on the pekin but it looks to me like your Cayuga may not be full cayuga. Probably another breed in its background cropping up some different color there. I have a Drake that is half rouen half cayuga and he has orange on his feet.

Looks like he may have scraped his bill on something. When my gander punctured his bill I put ACV with mother into his drinking bucket and it healed fine. ACV has some antibacterial properties. You can put some ointment on but with the way they always have their faces in water it most likely won't stay on long.

Not sure about your Cayuga bill, I know bills can change color get spots etc but I'll tag @shawluvsbirds she has Cayuga.
Right just making sure it wasn't some known infection etc
I will start treating it in not overly worried about it

Idk about the spots on the pekin but it looks to me like your Cayuga may not be full cayuga. Probably another breed in its background cropping up some different color there. I have a Drake that is half rouen half cayuga and he has orange on his feet.
Gotcha
Got two as ducklings (and a SA) from Metzer.
If that's the case no worries they're good ducks just wanted to make sure there was no deficiency or something that would cause discoloration

Gotcha
Got two as ducklings (and a SA) from Metzer.
If that's the case no worries they're good ducks just wanted to make sure there was no deficiency or something that would cause discoloration
It looks like thats just the color it is in the pictures. I wouldn't be worried about it.

Back
Top Bottom