Duck bites constantly and hard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmerbrowne, Oct 7, 2017.

1. farmerbrowne

farmerbrowne Songster

Howdy y'all,
    I have a Muscovy ducks that comes up to me constantly and starts nibbling at me and then turns to bitting, VERY hard. Will grab your pants and bite. It sometimes bites very hard to the point you have to shove him off you. Anything I can do to remedy this situation other than roast duck?

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Don't let him close enough to bite you...Chase him off...I had a Drake that was way too aggressive too...He no longer lives here....

CayugaJana likes this.
  3. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    We have a mean drake. Although I don't know if your drake is being mean or just inquisitive. I would immediately pick him up when he does this and place him on the ground on his back. That is the most vulnerable position for them. He will really not like it. Every time he has an undesirable behavior, immediately do this. He will eventually understand that you are the boss and will try to avoid it.

Bridger Davis and gal5150 like this.
  4. gal5150

gal5150 Songster

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    I have a nippy Welsh Harlequin who I pick up and hold her on her back while gently pressing her bill to her chest anytime she's being a pest. It's cut down on the behavior considerably.

Mama Runner and CayugaJana like this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Think of it this way....They mature quicker than humans and hormones change as seasons do....Its not training as much as nature changing the behaviour...In most cases next spring you will be tossing all your aggressive Ducks back onto their Backs and again think you have succeeded...:lau....No aggressive animals last here...

Mama Runner and BYCforlife like this.
  6. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    Do you have any hens? Sometimes, they can be aggrivated when they don't have a lady friend.:mad: But if you do have hens, I guess this is not the case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: