Duck Breed Focus - Mallard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sumi, Jan 16, 2016.

1. 5 Bird Bob

5 Bird Bob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2015
    I have a couple of Mallards that frequent my pool. They have made this a favorite stop. I love to see them, but I'm worried about them drinking chems.in the water. Could they get enough to harm them?

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you, @NorthFLChick ! [​IMG] They move constantly, so a good picture is hard to come by.

-Alex

3. LDinGrassValley

LDinGrassValley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    · What made you decide to get this breed?

Their beauty, many others ducks are prettier but there’s just something about the Mallard, guess they speak to my inner child.

· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?

For fun, they are the most unique pet. Not sure who owns who. Most days they spend daytime hours inside. If I grab a nap, one will sleep on my chest along with me. On a towel or in diapers.... The duck, not me silly!

· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?

I simply love their complex personalities. They can be loving, happy, angry, stubborn, curious, aloof, and shy; all within a few minuets time.

· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

I have posted several, one was an image of Mr. Peepers that you've reposted in your thread. I’ll post a few more now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

5. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    Is it really fair to call the mallard a "duck breed"? Isn't that like calling the wolf a "dog breed"?

Don't mean to ruffle anybody's feathers here, I just like to argue semantics. [​IMG]

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Well the fact that mallards have been domesticated makes it a breed if you domesticated a wolf it would then be a dog breed in theory

Also it's a breed just becuase every waterfowl association names it as a breed .

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  7. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    Right, there are domesticated mallards that are actually genetically different from wild mallards. Then it makes sense to call it a breed, I guess. :)

8. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Love my mallards, you can see them on my Youtube channel, OH Outdoorsman. Here's my pair [​IMG]

9. Solitude Farm

Solitude Farm New Egg

Jan 17, 2016
    Saint James ,Arkansas.
    In the past I have always clarified myself when talking with folks about mallards by spcifeying wild mallards or domestic mallards.I agree that they should be two different breeds.

10. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Pure mallards should come from wild stock I believe ( I probably think that because my mallards come from wild stock though :gig )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by