Duck Breed Focus - Mallard

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Mallard is one of the most recognized of all ducks and is the ancestor of several domestic duck breeds. The majority of Mallards are found in the wild with a wide distribution across the world, ranging from South Africa to the US and parts of Europe, where they inhabit available bodies of water such as lakes, rivers, wetlands, waterways. Domestic Mallards are gaining popularity as pets and also for exhibition, but being dabbling ducks, are known to be very destructive on lawns and if let lose in gardens.

In captivity, Mallards come in wild-type plumages, white, and other colours. These variants are increasing in availability.

Pic by @kada6305

Pic by @melissamerry

Pic by @melissamerry

Pic by @myfinefeatheredfriends

Pic by @LDinGrassValley

Pic by Sumi

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/mallard

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754458/mallard-thread-not-rouens-mallards/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/751474/post-you-mallard-duck-photos-here/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/392502/snowy-mallards/0_30

Do you own Mallards? Are you a Mallard breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

What surprised me the most about mallards was reading that their weights are generally a little under three pounds, making them smaller than my Runners!

They are lovely, lovely ducks and some day, maybe . . . .

I was also charmed by the white mallards.

I am a mallard breeder and I love the breed becuase of the vast range of personality they have . I breed black and grey mallards the black mallards were a really pickle for me becuase in one hatch about 5 years ago I just had a random black baby show up and I've never owned any black ducks except muscovies. Their plumage still has the grey pattern on the chest and on the tips of the wings but other than that they are dark brown and/or black I have hatched several of them but sometimes they don't produce any black offspring and just normal mallard grey offspring and I have to try again .

It's interesting about the various colors. Thanks for another great review thread Sumi!

2 of my juveniles this past season

Last edited:
Our cute little Mallard "family" consists of two ducks and a drake: Celine, Sapphira, and Marshall.

During an unusually warm spell this winter, Sapphira set her mind to hatching us a few babies and becoming a devoted mommy. Candling showed great development of the ducklings after she had been broody for about 3 weeks. Sadly, after it once again turned chilly, she realized what season it truly was and abandoned the nest.

Our Mallards are incredible daily layers of beautiful little mint green eggs that add so much color to the basket. Honestly wouldn't be without them!

Marsh coming back into breeding plumage.

Sapphira

Marsh and Sapphira

Sapphira and Celine

Celine

Sapphira

-Alex

I have one Mallard duck that was a surprise present from DH last year. Her friend, Jack, died, but Jill/Baby is alive and well and just happy to be here. Hubby renamed her Baby, as she is so little compared to the Pekin and Cayuga she hangs out with. She calls all the shots on where the duck troop is going, and she is loud when yelling at the humans to come feed everyone. I was honestly surprised when she turned out to be a Mallard, as I had no idea what breed the duck fairy had brought me.

My duck is quite sly and very difficult to get a hold of, even at night. She serves mainly as eye candy for me and I hope to get some eggs from her this Spring. She's already tried to sit on chicken eggs at least once, but they were duds and she abandoned the nest.

I absolutely love how vocal she is! She reminds me of the ducks at the canal when I was a kid. Hearing her quack outside, whether a loud call for food or just a busy little "quk ququququk qukquk" makes me smile. And while I have seen her fly loops around the yard, she's very good about staying home......for the most part :) when she wanders, it's on foot only and just a little into the neighbor's yard.

@Alexandra33 your ducks are beautiful and I love your photographs!

Wonderful thread! Thank you @sumi
Do you own Mallards? Are you a Mallard breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

What made you decide to get this breed?
Have loved to watch them as a child growing up seeing them at the lake raising babies every year.
Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?

Mostly for fun, I adore their personality. They are dual purpose here for eggs and table birds too.
What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
Tiny but resourceful, fun to watch, excellent mothers and very assertive for such a tiny duck..
Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!
We have snow and wild type Mallards here. Haven't taken pictures but will soon and add!

What made you decide to get this breed? I was asked to rescue two wild ducklings abandoned on a boat where their mother nested. The person who found them didnt know how to care for them. They were just a few days old. I got two more from a breeder and successfully made an unrelated pair.
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose? I own them for fun and also to see if I can get them to breed. They are considered pets and eat from my hand.
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed? They are very smart and relatively easy to tame. The hen recently made a nest and has layed 5 eggs so far.
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Back
Top Bottom