Duck Bumblefoot - how long?

Pics

McChics

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2015
We've been treating our 1 year old duck Stripes for bumblefoot. First time we've ever had this condition after having had chickens for the last 6 years. We noticed her limping and unable to walk fast more than about five steps before falling/sitting down, then going again. She is one of four. She is a Rouen.

She actually has two spots. One in the middle of her middle digit and one smaller one on the side. We read thread after thread and looked at several videos from basic treat to surgery. We opted to go surgery. After cleaning the wound well my wife cut it open and was able to dig out several hard chunks. Couldn't get anything out of the smaller one. Foot has never been excessively hot to the touch.

We cleaned and applied antibiotic ointment twice a day for a week. I kept her isolated from the pool/swimming.

After five days she seemed better, and the wound seemed smaller. I let her back in with her other four ducks and then two days later let her swim - but I noticed the limp was back. This time the scab did have the black look to it. Cleaned her back up, and cut the scab off. No chunks this time - but good blood flow. We've now gone five days since the last cut. The wound looks great. No more black. BUT - the middle digit remains really swollen. You can see from the top side the swelling - it is probably twice the bulk as normal.

How long should we expect it be swollen? Today we cleaned it up and applied a two coats of Blu Kote. I've let her out in the yard (no swimming) to let it otherwise air out. She is walking better, but I can tell it is tender.

If the scab is no longer black - do we just let it go now?

There is no puss in it that we can push out and when she cut the scab off last Thursday there was no chunks (like before) to pull out.

Hi, there!

Could you post a few pictures of the bottom of her feet?

An essential part of treating bumblefoot that people often miss is correcting whatever husbandry practice that is causing the Bumble, waterfowl are more susceptible to bumble when they are kept on dirty, hard compact, wet ground, are fed a nutritionally deficient diet, or when they have another underlying condition that is causing them to lay down more frequently such as a niacin deficiency or leg problems.

If not corrected, the bumble will reoccur.

This is as of today before putting the blu kote on.

Attachments

• 1 duck foot.jpg
    1 duck foot.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 2 duck foot.jpg
    2 duck foot.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 40
Also she does lay down a lot at least right now. I assume due to the foot pain. She gets plenty of good quality food including a regular dose of peas for treats before bed each night. they have about 1/8 acre of free room on grass and soil. They have a little compacted hard ground right at the hutch area for cleaning and people walking around. Some gravel, but mostly mud and grass. They have two kiddie pools (5 foot wide) they play in during the day. I flush and refill those about once a week.

Can you see a vet? They'll probably prescribe a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug like meloxicam, ketoprofen, or carprofen, I'll have to look, but I'm not sure if these can be obtained without a prescription.

The only vets we know that can do this are a considerable distance from us.
I just checked on her. She managed to wear the scab off the main site. It has a steady blood flow when squeezed. No black or dark areas. No puss. Just bright red blood. I went ahead and cleaned the would and applied the topical antibiotic and wrapped her back up. She tolerates this better every day. I’m too the point I can do this by myself since she is so calm. She does manage to drop a poop load every time right after dressing it.
I’d like to give her an oral antibiotic if possible. I just have no idea still exactly wjT or hour. If tractor supply has the penicillin I could get and give her that.

Back
Top Bottom