Duck can't stand up at all

Ogle8602

Hatching
Oct 5, 2022
So we found one of our ducks out on the frozen part of the pond a few days ago He was just sitting out there and couldn't move. We had to get a boat to save him. We took him home and warmed him up, but he can't stand up and can barely move his legs..

We don't know if this is related to being on the pond for a while or if something happened that caused him to not be able to move. I give him baths and I move his legs for him and he can feel if you touch his legs. He seems to have no balance and just falls over.

His poops are very watery and I would describe them as yellow and they smell horrendous. He doesn't eat alot but he does eat.

Can a full grown duck get niacin deficiency? He's eating and drinking and preening. I'm putting brewers yeast in his food just as a desperate hope. So far I don't see much if any improvement. I'm going to look into a vet on Monday, but it's Saturday night and everything is closed.
20221126_203955.jpg
20221126_204959.jpg

Poor Muscovy! Is the muscovy male or female?

What do you feed your ducks? If they are on duck pellets, a male muscovy is unlikley to be short of niacin -- I don't supplement my muscovy drakes [nor my pekin drakes] but my son does give brewers yeast to his female muscovy and pekins as they are on organic layer pellets that are not formulated for ducks. However, it won't harm to give your muscovy niacin -- we use high level Vit B by Durvet to treat niacin deficiency. It says injection on the bottle but for ducks we give daily 1 ml orally soaked into a treat while treating niacin deficiency. Brewers yeast is for preventing niacin deficiency once the acute deficiency is treated.

You might give your muscovy electrolytes in the drinking water. Tractor Supply sell sachets of electrolytes for poultry. If you are not near a Tractor Supply or other feed store, you can use pedialyte from you nearest pharmacy. The pedialyte also contains glucose which can be an advantage for ducks that are not eating.

But doing what you are doing -- keeping the sick duck in the house where you can be sure it is safe and warm, and can offer food and drink every hour or so, is the best until its problems are resolved.

Any signs of frostbite ? Or possibly he hurt his legs sliding on the ice ?
You got good advice on the vitamin B if that is the issue
I agree keeping him in a warm place and bath therapy for the legs
This way you can also monitor the food intake
Try to avoid treats unless he is eating his feed well

What do you feed your ducks? If they are on duck pellets, a male muscovy is unlikley to be short of niacin -- I don't supplement my muscovy drakes [nor my pekin drakes] but my son does give brewers yeast to his female muscovy and pekins as they are on organic layer pellets that are not formulated for ducks. However, it won't harm to give your muscovy niacin -- we use high level Vit B by Durvet to treat niacin deficiency. It says injection on the bottle but for ducks we give daily 1 ml orally soaked into a treat while treating niacin deficiency. Brewers yeast is for preventing niacin deficiency once the acute deficiency is treated.

You might give your muscovy electrolytes in the drinking water. Tractor Supply sell sachets of electrolytes for poultry. If you are not near a Tractor Supply or other feed store, you can use pedialyte from you nearest pharmacy. The pedialyte also contains glucose which can be an advantage for ducks that are not eating.

But doing what you are doing -- keeping the sick duck in the house where you can be sure it is safe and warm, and can offer food and drink every hour or so, is the best until its problems are resolved.
It's a full grown male and the ducks are my brother's friend's, who let's them free roam around a farm. I'm pretty sure they're only fed ground corn, which obviously isn't the best for them. So far, none of the other ducks have problems. In the house, I now am feeding him poultry feed and supplementing with brewers yeast. About 1 cup feed with 1 tablespoon brewers yeast.

It's a full grown male and the ducks are my brother's friend's, who let's them free roam around a farm. I'm pretty sure they're only fed ground corn, which obviously isn't the best for them. So far, none of the other ducks have problems. In the house, I now am feeding him poultry feed and supplementing with brewers yeast. About 1 cup feed with 1 tablespoon brewers yeast.
I would add the actual Vitsmin B supplement like @ruthhope suggested
If it is niacin issues the brewers yeast alone won’t fix it. It helps to prevent but once it’s an issue it needs much more to correct it
Also can take a few weeks to see improvements
Best of luck

Any signs of frostbite ? Or possibly he hurt his legs sliding on the ice ?
You got good advice on the vitamin B if that is the issue
I agree keeping him in a warm place and bath therapy for the legs
This way you can also monitor the food intake
Try to avoid treats unless he is eating his feed well
I don't see any signs of frostbite and he doesnt react like it hurts if you move his legs.

You are correct, @Ogle8602, that diet is deficient for ducks. Do add the brewers yeast as you are doing as maintenance diet, but please treat the deficiency now with Durvet High level Vit B compound: 1 ml orally each day soaked into a treat so you can observe it being eaten

Last edited:

I believe I found the culprit. Underneath one wing is I think a bone sticking out and it's got pus all around it. I'm not sure what to do for it now until I can get to a vet. I'll be calling first thing in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom