Duck Color Genetics Question: Fawn & White (drake) x Black Runner (duck) (PICS)

TREATS, but also they grew out of their friendliness :/ The duck is now scared of me?????? and the drake just is aggressively trying to mate me lol but that was when they were free range and came of age. I built them a pen and now they're less territorial and way sweeter! I literally grew a huge patch of mint just for them to graze on when I take them out of their pen to forage w me and now they love me again lol food is the best motivator
Oh cool! Mine started free ranging just a few weeks ago and now I have them trained on the sound of a cracked corn bag shaking 😂 . They come running in literally jumping up and down trying to fly. But not in a million years they let my hand go anywhere near them, at least for now. I also just let my two 7 week old duckling out to free range from the brooder and they are having so much fun. But for some reason even when getting them as ducklings they are crazy scared of me. I don't understand these things.

Oh cool! Mine started free ranging just a few weeks ago and now I have them trained on the sound of a cracked corn bag shaking 😂 . They come running in literally jumping up and down trying to fly. But not in a million years they let my hand go anywhere near them, at least for now. I also just let my two 7 week old duckling out to free range from the brooder and they are having so much fun. But for some reason even when getting them as ducklings they are crazy scared of me. I don't understand these things.
I heard a really good idea somewhere on here that to get them to imprint on you, you should get an old hoodie sweatshirt you don't particularly care about and let them "brood" in the hoodie while you wear it for a little bit each day. I think they said you wear it backwards and put the ducks in the hood or maybe something else, but I just thought that was a really smart idea. I personally just haven't had the time to try that yet lol sounds like it'd get pretty messy!

Oh I forgot! When they were still babies I made sure we were together a lot, and they would instinctively sleep on my feet which definitely solidified the notion that I was their duck parent lol

I heard a really good idea somewhere on here that to get them to imprint on you, you should get an old hoodie sweatshirt you don't particularly care about and let them "brood" in the hoodie while you wear it for a little bit each day. I think they said you wear it backwards and put the ducks in the hood or maybe something else, but I just thought that was a really smart idea. I personally just haven't had the time to try that yet lol sounds like it'd get pretty messy!

Oh I forgot! When they were still babies I made sure we were together a lot, and they would instinctively sleep on my feet which definitely solidified the notion that I was their duck parent lol
Adorable!! Thats a great idea! I will definitely try that next time.

ooo I'm so curious what they'll look like when they grow up! do you mind sharing pics?
Here are some of my Troopie. Shes on the left in the first pic. Our drake is on the right, but his legs have now turned orange this spring. The last 2 pics are my "blue" runner babes. They all have blue runner parents, but you can kind of see the differences in leg colors between the blue, lavender and black. The lavender has weird colored legs too. I'm interested to see what they look like as an adult

Attachments

• 20201110_175302.jpg
    20201110_175302.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210224_143606.jpg
    20210224_143606.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210318_140619.jpg
    20210318_140619.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210411_221022.jpg
    20210411_221022.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210411_221054.jpg
    20210411_221054.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 40
Here are some of my Troopie. Shes on the left in the first pic. Our drake is on the right, but his legs have now turned orange this spring. The last 2 pics are my "blue" runner babes. They all have blue runner parents, but you can kind of see the differences in leg colors between the blue, lavender and black. The lavender has weird colored legs too. I'm interested to see what they look like as an adult
um those ducks are BEAUTIFUL?!?!?!?! um my eyes are not worthy?!??!?!?!

They are soooooooooooo pretty!!!! I like the way the color looks on troopie's legs! I can't wait for my guys to grow up!!!

How old are the ducklings now? They are too cute, the lavender is precious. Even though I know blue x blue can make lavender or silver, its always such a surprise at first to see yellow duckies come from the pair hahaha

UPDATE:

It seems as though this may be a sex-linked combo! Of the three that I kept, two of the light gray/lilac/lavender that have brownish hues in their down are GIRLS and have just learned to quack! The blue (dark color) is a BOY! I've asked the people I gave the rest of their siblings to to let me know which colors are honking! So we shall see if my half-baked theory works out woohoo

Obviously if you have a black runner duck, your offspring may/will be different because extended black is a mask and will cover up whats underneath so if someone has a similar pair and stumbled on this post, your clutch may/will turn out differently!

um those ducks are BEAUTIFUL?!?!?!?! um my eyes are not worthy?!??!?!?!

They are soooooooooooo pretty!!!! I like the way the color looks on troopie's legs! I can't wait for my guys to grow up!!!

How old are the ducklings now? They are too cute, the lavender is precious. Even though I know blue x blue can make lavender or silver, its always such a surprise at first to see yellow duckies come from the pair hahaha
Thank you 😂 the babies were a week old yesterday. It is strange seeing little yellow guys coming from blues. My silvers feet are 2 different shades of pinkish grey and grey. Weird. It will be interesting to see what color they will be once they're grown.
Congrats on having some girls in your bunch! How are the babies doing now? Do you have pics? 😁

Attachments

• 20210415_200909.jpg
    20210415_200909.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 36
Thank you 😂 the babies were a week old yesterday. It is strange seeing little yellow guys coming from blues. My silvers feet are 2 different shades of pinkish grey and grey. Weird. It will be interesting to see what color they will be once they're grown.
Congrats on having some girls in your bunch! How are the babies doing now? Do you have pics? 😁
My ducklings legs are the same type of color as the silver! I was so curious if pink and gray legs were a thing because I'd never seen them before but they're sooooo cool when they are next to the bright orange and black footed ducks! I'll take some pics tomorrow! I see tail feathers coming in and they're SOOOO cool. The blue and white boy even has two random black tail feathers and the rest are this light blue with blue at the tips (which I am sure he'll molt out of probably!) All the ducks' bills are like pale pale pink and blue now they looked kinda similar to yours but a bit more pink in the bill. Ugh your babies are too cute I cannot wait to see how they grow!

here they are today at almost 3 weeks! The boy (blue/darker color) is about 4 days older than the youngest girl (with the brownish head) BF24DD11-9E93-4347-BC24-379142EB9707.jpeg
Legs are all still pink/dusty pink with black and dark gray splash
F9FAFF93-1423-4FC5-B3AE-4E0671DC27D5.jpeg
59807CD1-3ED8-43A6-9D5D-8785E99D71DB.jpeg
and the boy’s are starting to yellow a bit
72B341CD-9AFF-4D45-A81F-D75C4EA0F98A.jpeg

tail feathers are still coming in with the boys blue and two black feathers poking out ahead of the rest! 83E816AB-B7A1-4019-B077-E6C448F113F9.jpeg
the girls you can barely see but they are like a light gray...ones is VERY light ...is that what silver looks like? I think they may be lilac or lavender (what ever those two colors actually look like 😂) 5BBCE42D-0A35-42C2-BF9A-BB88A357C935.jpeg 75DD8957-957A-48FB-AD9D-63D5A28F0B49.jpeg (this is the duck with the lightest tail feathers but u cant really tell because the natal feathers/down are blocking it)

ANYWHOOOO, thank you for coming to my ted talk... i doubt this will be interesting to anyone BUT i know how frustrated i was looking online for pics of what a f&w x black runner looked like so i figure its better to be superfluous if maybe it can satisfy someone’s curiosity down the line!

Last edited:
*also pardon the wet feathers they were just dunking their heads in their water, and pardon the dirty brooder lol i just woke up to clean it*

Back
Top Bottom