Duck died, what to do for her mate/friend?

Daisy and Daffy

Chirping
May 10, 2021
Hi all. My female 1 year 3 mo pekin duck died today from a predator. I only had 2 ducks, and her friend doesn't seem to miss her too much but they were inseprable. What should I do? Should I get another duck to keep her company?

That's the problem haha. I'm currently only able to have 2 ducks for personal reasons, and I can't just get one duck from any hatchery or most people. So I'm a bit at a loss.

Hi all. My female 1 year 3 mo pekin duck died today from a predator. I only had 2 ducks, and her friend doesn't seem to miss her too much but they were inseprable. What should I do? Should I get another duck to keep her company?
First off, I am so so sorry for you & your ducky friend's loss 😥

Sort answer : Yes, get her a new friend.
She may be ok but, most get very lonely and depressed, stop eating/drinking. They count on each other for support/protection/socialization. Some can be ok with a mirror and a stuffed animal to snuggle with short term but all this depends on how much time is spent with the lone duck and depends on the individual duck itself.

I'm getting them a new coop with better protection. What got her was a hawk and I live in the suburbs so I don't think there will be much more in the area. Also, if I were to get another duck, adult or a duckling, will there be an introduction problem? How should I introduce them?

The best way to introduce is through fencing one on one side one on the other,
Sometimes it only takes a few days for intros or it can take longer. You'll just have to watch how things go and decide when to let them be together. I def wouldn't get a drake though because of hormones.

Hawks are everywhere so don't think there isn't more and once one got your duck that one will be back looking for another easy meal.

Back
Top Bottom