Duck died

AnconaMommy

Chirping
Aug 15, 2016
Loveland, Colorado
I had posted a while back about my Welsh Harlequin having some watery/foamy poop. I had quarantined her for a couple weeks, until she was eating and drinking like normal and no more funky poop (that only lasted one night). She seemed so much better, but obviously was not. When do you all decide it's time for a vet versus home medical care? Also, debating having a necroscopy done to see if whatever was going on is contiguous, but the vet said that even once I pay the $100 for that, he needs to see EVERY SINGLE ONE of my ducks before he'd give an antibiotic. That seems ludicrous because he knows how much I love my ducks. I'm frustrated, sad, and wondering where I went wrong. Thanks all!

I am so sorry about your loss. That is awful that even after a necropsy and something came up that you'd need an antibiotic to treat the rest of your birds, just doesn't seem right. Never heard of something like that. I'd call around and talk to other vets.

Last edited:
I am so sorry. I too lost one of my ducks this week. Where I am at there are no local vets that would take her. They told us we would have had to take her to a university that is 2 hours away. I wish I could get a necropsy, but unfortunately that is not an option either. It’s so hard loosing a flock member!

:hugs
When to make the call is a hard choice. Does your state require all necropsy cases go through a vet? I know in TN we have an independent lab plus one of the colleges.
Not that I'm.aware of. My farmer friend a do their own a lot of times but since I don't know what I'm looking for, I figured it's best to take her somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom