Duck Dilemma

Ducksworth

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 10, 2015
Hello, folks. I just caught a domestic duck that had been abandoned at a nearby park a few months ago. Since he couldn't fly south for the winter I (and other people in town) wanted him to get a safe home. I am working on placing the duck in a good place. Meanwhile I just noticed his bill is running and he seems to be wheezing. I don't know if this is just because of the sudden change from being outside in icy cold to being inside a warm bathroom, or if he could have a disease, or what. I'm short on funds and am not sure how serious this is or what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Well whatever it is now make sure if you have any other ducks not to have this one go near the others. By the sounds of it, it doesn't sound too serious right now but it's important that you keep a close eye on him.

Thanks, I have no other ducks but I do have cats and of course I don't want to catch anything either. I don't know much about duck care to be honest, but I will not be keeping the duck long before finding a safe place for him/her to go.

What kind of accommodations does the duck have? Is there a way to wash her head frequently? She may need to be able to clean her nares (nostrils) out. Worst case, there may be an infection, and that can be treated with antibiotics.

First, I would give her a big bowl or small bucket of water with one tablespoon of ACV per gallon and let her drink-rinse in that. After a day or so, if no improvement, I would start looking into antibiotics. They can be purchased at feed stores.

There are threads on BYC about what and how much to use.

Thanks for the advice. He or she does have a big bowl of water that I'm sure he could get his head in. I actually did put a little acv in it. I'll see how he's doing tomorrow and post again then.

Well by the looks I would say you have a female and may be a few years old. Her bill has spots which happens when they have been laying for a while. She looks like a pekin. Good for you for bringing her home. A non breakable mirror will help her not be so lonely. Some poultry vitamins and some good food should help her settle in. What are your long term plans? We can help figure something out :)

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know anyone could tell the gender just by looking at her. I have contacted a few local rescues to see if they can take her, bu tif not the town borough says to bring her in and they will find her a home. Apparently there's a few people in town who saw her at the park and are interested in adopting her. I just want her to have a good home.

I'll put a mirror by her in the meantime. :)

By they way I'm in southern New Jersey, near the Deptford/Woodbury area if that's of interest to anyone.

Last edited:
Ok, she is looking a bit better as far as the beak running, but I still think she's congested by the wheezy sound she makes. I wasn't able to find a good placement for her today, the place I'm hoping for is closed untill Wednesday. :( In the meantime I moved her out of the bathroom and into a large cage in the laundry room.

**I don't know what to feed her! I was told whole grain bread and corn by one person then another said no, it could kill her and to buy expensive feed. Does anyone know for sure what she needs and what absolutely not to feed her? Thanks!

Ok, she is looking a bit better as far as the beak running, but I still think she's congested by the wheezy sound she makes. I wasn't able to find a good placement for her today, the place I'm hoping for is closed untill Wednesday. :( In the meantime I moved her out of the bathroom and into a large cage in the laundry room. **I don't know what to feed her! I was told whole grain bread and corn by one person then another said no, it could kill her and to buy expensive feed. Does anyone know for sure what she needs and what absolutely not to feed her? Thanks!
That great that she is doing better. Chicken grower feed is what I use. You could add some kitty food to it as well to up the protein levels. An all flock raiser would be good. Bread and corn aren't very good because they don't provide any real nutrients. I am also going to take back what I said about her being a pekin. With the black on top she is not one but I don't see a drake feather so may it is still a she? I'm not sure what kind of duck she is other than a sweetie.

Last edited:
She looks to me like a Pekin Muscovy cross. Lovely.

Poultry maintenance feed is sold here for about $18 for a fifty pound bag. You could buy organic for closer to $30 for 50 pounds. Some shops sell 5 or ten pound bags.

A little good quality dry cat kibble - like, a couple tablespoons a day - adds some protein and Vitamin D to the diet.

Bread and corn, as needlessjunk said, are calories without much nutrition. And I have read that too much bread can mess up their digestion. A couple little pieces now and then to get them to eat medicine, yes, sure, I can see that. But better treats would be chopped lettuce or thawed frozen green peas.

If you just need something quick and easy till you can get regular feed, some rolled or whole oats (not instant, nothing sugary), soaked wheat berries, hard boiled egg mashed up, a tablespoon of sardines (in plain water, no oil, no extra salt), the things on the list in the Stickies section for duck treats, beet greens, chard, kale, as little extras. Cooked potatoes mashed up a little should be okay, too. A sprinkling - maybe a few teaspoons - of flaxseed . . . . If you go with oats, do add some kibble or boiled egg or sardines for protein. A bit of brewer's yeast provides B vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom