Duck, Duck, Rooster

My RI rooster is beating the snot out of my Pekin. What are your ideas on managing them?

Eighteen weeks ago we brought home four chicks and two ducklings from Tractor Supply. Turns out we have two Golden Comet hens (Pixie and Trixie), two roosters [one Barred (Reuben) and one RI (Red)] and, well, I don't know what the Pekins (Howard and Bernadette) are.

One week ago I noticed red cuts across one Pekin's (I'll say Howard) bill, between the eyes. I saw Red mount and just throttle Howard on the bill while I was feeding and cleaning up.

I went to Rural King and bought a pre-fab coop and split the flock. After five days I let them all free-range together while I piddled around. Red just zeroed in on Howard and beat him every chance he got. I would dart over then whop Red with a small bag of treats (not enough to hurt but enough to make my point). Red would stop for a little while but basically I know they can't be together at all.

So now I'm trying to work out how to deal with this. Howard and Bernadette get along fine with everyone else. Do I sort Red out, basically isolate him to his own pen? Do I rotate letting the ducks out with the hens one day and the hens and roosters the next? Or a little of all?

From my readings I guess I'll have to bring in more hens for the roosters. I should have found that out before getting them. The husband said he knew about chickens, but the ratio was something he didn't mention - because he didn't know.
I would separate them for the safety of all. Because when your Male duck mature's the beatings are likely to start going the other direction up to including death of said rooster. I once had a mature Rhode Island rooster and a muscovy drake. My rooster for a period of time dominated the drake till he'd had his fill. He beat that rooster till his waddles and comb were blue. Then removed his intestines killing rooster. All this caught on my surveillance camera nasty beating but well deserved none the less.

I would separate them for the safety of all. Because when your Male duck mature's the beatings are likely to start going the other direction up to including death of said rooster. I once had a mature Rhode Island rooster and a muscovy drake. My rooster for a period of time dominated the drake till he'd had his fill. He beat that rooster till his waddles and comb were blue. Then removed his intestines killing rooster. All this caught on my surveillance camera nasty beating but well deserved none the less.
Yeah , that is the kind of thing you both cheer and hate at the same time.

I don't want Red to get killed, or Howard for that matter. I can't deny that he is a b@st@rd.

So, I keep staring at the pen trying to figure the best split that gives the ducks their small pond and the chickens a spot I can see them. Free range will have to be split. I'll have to keep after Red's wing clipping so he can't fly up over the fence into the duck pen. Or figure out something else.

Back
Top Bottom