Duck egg air sac/humidity, am I doing this right??? (pictures attached)

More cuddles
20180801_174157.jpg

We like to be in our water dish at the same time
20180801_165728.jpg

The "twins" seem to be followers of the yellow one. Have a feeling none were ever handled as they still hate (ok not hate but not love yet) us but we're getting there

Any advice on gaining trust? We try not to scare them, no chasing, no dogs chasing them etc

I take about a pinch or two and sprinkle it on top of their food. That way I know they get at least some because the top is first touch.

I just held mine a lot and let them know they were safe by paying attention to their shaking when they get scared - cover them with a light blanket when your holding them so they bury into it to hide their head like they would under their momma.

Fancy would drive under my shirt even when he was big. I called him my big baby cause he'd hide under there shaking, stick his head out the top and huff/his top of his head feathers raised then dive back under again, lol... it took me almost 2 and half to 3 months before he'd let me pick him up without chasing him down with a blanket to throw over his head so I could hold him... and that was with speedys help. She'd climb up onto the couch with me, perch on my shoulder and snuggle in for the night and then call fancy over - I'd put a pillow down beside the couch for him to climb onto and he'd climb up on me while I pretended to be sleeping cause if I moved to help him at all, he ran.

But my two were raised inside they didn't go outside until spring and I finally had my backyard fixed safe for them... and then I had to move.

The twins are older, so it's taking me longer to gain their complete trust but after today's episode with the hawk - they seem to trust that I am trying to protect them. It got shaky when fancy died... Isabella wouldn't come near me afterwards and before she used to run to me if she got picked on. Donella has always been wary of me, but she was the first to come around after fancy died when I brought the baby back safely to her. She doesn't try to bite me now when I pick him up, she just watches and eats.

Last edited:
Hello!! Missed talking to you guys, no cell reception except one area but forget trying to use the internet :rolleyes:

Back from the dunes to get ready for another trip in 2 weeks:D but thought I'd check in!

:frow:frow:frow

All the babies are doing great! Peep is by far the favorite and the baby! The triplets have been adopted by "you're a duck" / Mr. Duck " - our male (yes weirdo names but I like em') they are happy and healthy wandering all around the yard. Taking cues from daddy on how to deal with our collie "bandon " herding them. I'll try to get videos of them after I get back from town- it's so cute to see a single dad taking care of his babies:lol:

Peep is growing like crazy! I feel like all they do is eat, poop, and sleep! She (still don't know if she is not or girl- we just say she) got to explore her new home for an hour or so this morning while cleaning it, pool, area around it. She went inside by herself without any bribes :gig

Grandma stayed at our house to babysit all the birds and really wanted to take peep home with her!!

Some pix from my phone:

My oldest on his first "dune ride" . Where we live you must have a license to drive in the sand. With his delays it made it a longer process with the two tests but I'm so proud to say he did it on his own. This was a goal for him as he was tired of just riding with us on the back of our bikes- not to mention it's illegal and not safe. By then end of that first day he was doing "cookies" and "drifting" around corners! Simply amazing! :celebrate:love
20180701_165352_1530504351081_001.jpg

The hubs and I on our adult only ride. I love showing my kids around the dunes but sometimes I need to ride the way I like to ride... fast..hill climbs.. sideways..etc. they're just not that experienced yet. Plus the hill shots we like are very technical and most of the time you have to go down backwards or turn your bike around by hand. I'll teach them next summer:clap
FB_IMG_1534187671100.jpg

Peep
20180812_153142.jpg
20180810_224155.jpg

Oh the yeast: I figured I'd just sprinkle a TSP over the food each time I feed them. They don't have huge bowls yet so it's a few times a day. Now that I've seen your reply I will adjust. Want to make sure it's the correct amount!

Awesome pics. Where can you go and ride on the dunes I didn’t think there was any place left that would allow it . Peep is adorable so happy for you that it has worked out going to get the others and now Dad is taking care of them sweet.

I was surprised he seemed so obsessed right away. I was worried he would hurt them as males can. His lady got taken during the day which I'm sure he saw.. I was concerned about him being depressed. He would follow around our hens and play with the dog but I'm sure it's not the same. As soon as I brought the 3 out he would not leave us alone - in a good way. It's super cute and he seems to be HAPPY!

We ride the Oregon coast dunes, we do take large trips to so.cal once a year for Glamis or Dumont. Thinking about Idaho next year. But prefer to stay at my home dunes.

Daddy and his hidden babies 20180813_195726.jpg

Back
Top Bottom