Duck egg air sac/humidity, am I doing this right??? (pictures attached)

Pics

wheresbigfoot

Songster
Aug 11, 2016
Ariel Washington
Are my air sacs too small?? Here's all my info...

Hova bator 2370 w/ incuview(?) auto turner - Shipped eggs from Metzer - opened and candled , no loose/scrambled air sacs, one slightly wiggly air sac - set on counter pointy end down for 12ish hours - placed in running incubator, still with pointy end down and no turner for 3 days - candled again, air sac looks good - placed on side in auto turner with "x" "o" on either side to switch every 24 hours - kept humidity (2 seperate/calibrated) at 30 - 40% - temp 99 with a dip to 97 a few times (3 separate therms, not using incubator therm)

--- last airsac trace was day 14 --
------- today is day 23 ( counted by 24 hours not by the moment I placed in incubator) and no air sac growth ------ humidity hovered between 40 - 45 % ( assuming this is too high?)

--> are the air sacs too small?
--> should I run completely dry for a couple days to help the air sac move down?
--> Something else I should do?
20180715_122102.jpg 20180715_122015.jpg 20180715_122305.jpg
WH - Welsh Harlequin, GRH - Grimaud Hybrid Pekin, KC - Khaki Campbell

They don’t look too awfully bad to me, but yes, it wouldn’t hurt to run dry for a couple days before you increase the humidity for hatching. Could possibly even wait until late day 25 or even day 26 if they still look small, and if no internal pips or drawdown by then.

I assume the eggs are in cartons just for the pictures?
When you candle, how has the embryo growth looked?

I’m a little confused by laying them in the auto turner, but having the X and O. The incuview turner rolls them on their side, correct?

Good luck with the hatch! Ducklings are the best. :)

Def wait for live ducklings if that is your last resort. I didn't order from Metzers but have heard great things about them. I ordered from Purely Poultry and they have people all over the country who hatch for them so my chicks came from Missouri which was a closer to me than Calif. Mine were packed great Had gro gel in the box. Hopefully you can find some ducklings local or at least with in driving distance.

Hello!! Missed talking to you guys, no cell reception except one area but forget trying to use the internet :rolleyes:

Back from the dunes to get ready for another trip in 2 weeks:D but thought I'd check in!

:frow:frow:frow

All the babies are doing great! Peep is by far the favorite and the baby! The triplets have been adopted by "you're a duck" / Mr. Duck " - our male (yes weirdo names but I like em') they are happy and healthy wandering all around the yard. Taking cues from daddy on how to deal with our collie "bandon " herding them. I'll try to get videos of them after I get back from town- it's so cute to see a single dad taking care of his babies:lol:

Peep is growing like crazy! I feel like all they do is eat, poop, and sleep! She (still don't know if she is not or girl- we just say she) got to explore her new home for an hour or so this morning while cleaning it, pool, area around it. She went inside by herself without any bribes :gig

Grandma stayed at our house to babysit all the birds and really wanted to take peep home with her!!

Some pix from my phone:

My oldest on his first "dune ride" . Where we live you must have a license to drive in the sand. With his delays it made it a longer process with the two tests but I'm so proud to say he did it on his own. This was a goal for him as he was tired of just riding with us on the back of our bikes- not to mention it's illegal and not safe. By then end of that first day he was doing "cookies" and "drifting" around corners! Simply amazing! :celebrate:love
20180701_165352_1530504351081_001.jpg

The hubs and I on our adult only ride. I love showing my kids around the dunes but sometimes I need to ride the way I like to ride... fast..hill climbs.. sideways..etc. they're just not that experienced yet. Plus the hill shots we like are very technical and most of the time you have to go down backwards or turn your bike around by hand. I'll teach them next summer:clap
FB_IMG_1534187671100.jpg

Peep
20180812_153142.jpg
20180810_224155.jpg

Oh the yeast: I figured I'd just sprinkle a TSP over the food each time I feed them. They don't have huge bowls yet so it's a few times a day. Now that I've seen your reply I will adjust. Want to make sure it's the correct amount!

I can't wait either! I started with 14 shipped of different breeds.. down to 8 so far. This is by far my most successful incubation..well except when I let mama duck do it but coyotes got her so here we are trying to grow my flock!

I'm going to keep a close eye on all, no humidity until I have too and update here later. Thank you!! You're awesome :bow:celebrate .. I'll keep you posted on ones that are too small and we'll go from there if we have too.

Is there such thing as a "tool kit" I should have incase?? I'll dig through the articles on hatching and stuff to see what I can find.

Back
Top Bottom