Duck egg air sac/humidity, am I doing this right??? (pictures attached)

Nutridrench! If you don’t have any, it’s wonderful stuff. Weak hatchers often benefit from a quick vitamin boost.

I think there’s a list somewhere on this site. I have Vaseline, tweezers, q-tips, paper towels, a basket for pulling hatched ones quickly to carry to the brooder, etc. Plus having the brooder all set up and ready. I’m sure others can suggest more than I can think of right now. :)

I mean tool kit as in little stuff to have on hand to wipe or clean etc not for assistance in hatching as that sounds way out of my league :gig

Nah! But now is the time to consider whether you want to assist if necessary, or let nature take its course. No wrong answer, personal decision. There are valid arguments for both decisions in my book.

I have all my brooder stuff just not set up yet. I plan on placing next to incubator .. with 3 dogs and 3 kids I bound to trip over something :lau so I planned out space for both ahead of time. I have everything you listed except nutridrench(?) , my hubs works in the pet/farm industry so I'll have him grab some tomorrow from one of his stores. Im assuming a farm/feed store would carry it?!

As far as assistance.. I see both sides of the argument and will do what I can to assist. I'm not experienced enough to fully assist but if the need arises I'll try to work some magic. I've got the thread thing about assisted hatching saved and will absolutely update if something goes sideways.

Let's hope not!! Happy Healthy hatching vibes over here:D:D

Happy healthy vibes for sure! :fl

Poultry Nutridrench is available here at tractor supply and the like. It’s a liquid vitamin, but unlike the powder packets that you mix in the water, this can be given straight and gets into their bloodstream almost immediately. I use it often for weak chicks and ducklings. It’s thick and messy, so I wipe my finger on the dropper and transfer a bit directly to their beak. Then follow with clear water. I’ve seen some amazing results with it, so I will always have a bottle on hand. And it’s only like 5 bucks for a small bottle that lasts a long time.

So when are you planning to bump up the humidity? Getting close now! :D :pop

OK just got home.... checked birds last night very little growth in air sac except one. Wasnt able to check this morning before I left but just checked.. the one with very large growth or draw down whatever is bigger and looks to be pushing on the sac??? I am hoping I can upload a video as you cant really see in pictures. The others did have some growth but not much. Still able to see some movement but nothing like this one.

Lets see if I can get a video to you some how .. Ill add pictures incase I cant get vid 20180717_132815.jpg 20180717_132829.jpg

hopefully you can see the video..

should I up humidity since she's pushing or is that just moving around getting ready to pip??? aaaahhhhh are we having babies?! :wee:eek:

Oh uhhh.. since some air sacs are small should i place them upright?? Or just leave them on the side?? Uugh so many questions

Last edited:
The duckling in the video is definitely pressing on the membrane and has either internally pipped or very close to it. I would go ahead and increase humidity this evening, lay the eggs on their side, with the lowest side of the dip aimed upward.

Ducklings...... within the next few days!! :ya

Ok will do!!!

Just to confirm
- take auto turner out - lay eggs on side - up humidity to (my notes say 60-75%?) - temp down to 98 - if I remember correctly my bator is forced air and I just copied down temps from searching on here

Should I keep track of time I see "pushing" incase there is no internal pip..how often can that happen? Is that a thing? Yikes!

Eggs with small air cell.. there doesn't look to be a drop down yet, I'll check again but won't be opening to much .. for now I'll just place on the side and hope they figure it out

Back
Top Bottom