DUCK EGG EMERGENCY

The humidities still a little low, I put some vinegar in the water as I’ve read it helps. Ahh I’m just so nervous! Like I said it’s my first time. It is still air, and thermometer is okay, it’s at 100F/38C as I’ve read that’s what is needed for a still air. I’ve run in to another problem, throughout incubation my temp has been good and stable, but now it’s suddenly dropped and won’t rise back up?!? Is it because of the higher humidity?! How do I fix this?!?! I’ve put blankets on top but it’s still too low and won’t go back up, whyyy did it have to be on the most important day:hit
I would take the vinegar out, and put in a wet sponge. You can also lightly mist the eggs every hour or so. If it's been 100 degrees the whole time, that's wrong. In a still air incubator the temp needs to be 102 at all times. 100 is too low. And if your thermometer was not calibrated, but your babies are hatching early, and it's "been" 100 the whole time, your thermometer is not correct. You need to calibrate it. All of the ones I've ever bought were always at least 1 degree off. And I have many different brands.
That is because you're trying to up the humidity. The temp always drops to around 97 in my incubator on hatch day. The babies are fine, they can produce enough heat for themselves by then. As long as it doesn't drop below 97, they won't get cold. Humidity and ventilation is much more important at this stage. Do you have all of your vents open? Babies need lots of oxygen while hatching.

I would take the vinegar out, and put in a wet sponge. You can also lightly mist the eggs every hour or so. If it's been 100 degrees the whole time, that's wrong. In a still air incubator the temp needs to be 102 at all times. 100 is too low. And if your thermometer was not calibrated, but your babies are hatching early, and it's "been" 100 the whole time, your thermometer is not correct. You need to calibrate it. All of the ones I've ever bought were always at least 1 degree off. And I have many different brands.
That is because you're trying to up the humidity. The temp always drops to around 97 in my incubator on hatch day. The babies are fine, they can produce enough heat for themselves by then. As long as it doesn't drop below 97, they won't get cold. Humidity and ventilation is much more important at this stage. Do you have all of your vents open? Babies need lots of oxygen while hatching.
Thank you! I already have two sponges in the water tray!! The temp has been 100 but mostly 102 my bad, I’ve read it on multiple thermometers I have In there. Im not good with the calibrating thing and yeah have tried to do it but with no luck I guess :barnie I have all my vents open yes! When should I expect the baby to get a little more lively with hatching?

Also last question!!! So where it’s peeped I can see yellow membrane, it looks quite dry? Is this normal?

Also last question!!! So where it’s peeped I can see yellow membrane, it looks quite dry? Is this normal?
Hmm, I am not supre experinaced, but I think it may be getting a bit dry, is the baby still moving in there? I don't know if you should sprits the the area, or apply something, @MGG @shawluvsbirds will be more helpful!

Thank you! I already have two sponges in the water tray!! The temp has been 100 but mostly 102 my bad, I’ve read it on multiple thermometers I have In there. Im not good with the calibrating thing and yeah have tried to do it but with no luck I guess :barnie I have all my vents open yes! When should I expect the baby to get a little more lively with hatching?
That's ok. Calibrating is pretty easy, just put the thermometer in a sealed sandwich bag (if it's digital) and push it down in a mug filled with mostly crushed ice and a tiny bit of cold water. Then wait for 15 minutes or so and pull it out. It should read 32 Fahrenheit. If it doesn't, dump out the water, fill the mug with crushed ice and a tiny bit of cold water, and try again. If it still doesn't read 32, calculate how many degrees off it is, and just know it's X number of degrees off. If it reads 32, perfect.
That's good. What is your humidity and temp at right now?
Probably either later today or tomorrow.
Yes, he's getting dry. What is your humidity at? It should be around 75%. You can put a little bit of coconut oil on the membrane if you have any. Just a little bit.

That's ok. Calibrating is pretty easy, just put the thermometer in a sealed sandwich bag (if it's digital) and push it down in a mug filled with mostly crushed ice and a tiny bit of cold water. Then wait for 15 minutes or so and pull it out. It should read 32 Fahrenheit. If it doesn't, dump out the water, fill the mug with crushed ice and a tiny bit of cold water, and try again. If it still doesn't read 32, calculate how many degrees off it is, and just know it's X number of degrees off. If it reads 32, perfect.
That's good. What is your humidity and temp at right now?
Probably either later today or tomorrow.

Yes, he's getting dry. What is your humidity at? It should be around 75%. You can put a little bit of coconut oil on the membrane if you have any. Just a little bit.
Well I’m quite the klutz and any “easy” thing doesn’t turn out so easy for me:hmm I’ve tried the calibration thing, it seems two of my thermometers were off by 4*?? If that’s true then my temp would’ve been 93F instead of 101F throughout incubation right?!? How the hell did the baby even develop if that was the case:barnie the humidity is around 65%, the duckling still hasn’t gotten through the membrane, should I make a small incision now or leave it be? Here’s a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 3
Well I’m quite the klutz and any “easy” thing doesn’t turn out so easy for me:hmm I’ve tried the calibration thing, it seems two of my thermometers were off by 4*?? If that’s true then my temp would’ve been 93F instead of 101F throughout incubation right?!? How the hell did the baby even develop if that was the case:barnie the humidity is around 65%, the duckling still hasn’t gotten through the membrane, should I make a small incision now or leave it be? Here’s a pic
Lol! It's ok.
Idk. They wouldn't have developed this far if it was that off, so it must be wrong.
How many hours has the baby been externally pipped now? Try not to open the incubator any more unless you really have to, because that will dry them out really fast. Don't open it up, leave him be for now.

Back
Top Bottom