Duck Egg Help

stitch42

Hatching
Mar 5, 2017
I live in a neighborhood that has a couple of 10 plus acre lakes. The "front" lake has always had Muscovey ducks, the "back" lake that I live on never had ducks. Last summer I raised 3 Peking ducks and 6 Rouen ducks from chicks. I would love the Rouen population to grow.

Walking around the lake this week, I saw 3 random eggs in about 6" off water near the bank. I built some nesting boxes, but so far they want nothing to do with them. Tell me what I need to know................

Are these random eggs potentially fertile? Should I put them in an incubator? Is there something I should do to help with the nesting / reproduction process.......or should I just stay out of the way? I want more Rouens, would be a fun exercise for me and the kids to help the "process" along with the existing ducks. All help and advice is appreciated.

So, you are wanting domestic ducks on the lake?

There are folks who have their ducks on private lakes. My first thought is how they are cared for. Domestic ducks often do not have any interest in nest boxes.

Walking around the lake this week, I saw 3 random eggs in about 6" off water near the bank. I built some nesting boxes, but so far they want nothing to do with them. Tell me what I need to know................

In the research I did before getting ducks, it sounded like many, many ducks don't lay in nesting boxes very well but that quite a few people had good luck convincing their ducks to use nesting boxes by putting wooden dummy eggs in them. We're getting three eggs a day now (woohoo! :D ) and each day at least two of them are laid in a nesting box.

The other trick I had heard and that I do is to not let your ducks out of their house/coop until after the time they have laid their eggs. We've found that by around 8 am, our girls have usual laid their eggs, so they don't get let out into their pen until 8:15-8:30 am or so.

Also, if you want fertile eggs, make sure you have at least one drake. Can't have babies without a male to help! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom