Duck Egg Incubation HELP: (Humidity / Cool downs / Bator Space) - Calls, Muscovy, Pekin

catch22

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2021
Hopefully I can add another post in so close to my last, but I am looking for some more opinions on a couple of things:

I have a batch of call ducks incubating and then another incubator full with a mixture of Pekin eggs and Muscovy. My first question, I am seeing A LOT of varying opinions on what humidity levels to have these eggs running at. Anyone have any proven levels to keep the eggs at? I have had Muscovies for years but never tried to incubate my own eggs. I lucked into these so am trying it out. Calls I have had in the past as well, but same scenario. I want the best hatch possible (obviously) out of these kids.

I have seen as high as 60% for the incubation period and as low as 35% for the calls specifically. Any help for each individual breed would be fantastic.

My second question... I have run into the slightest issue with the muscovy and pekin eggs... I had 48 to begin with and now I am down to 41... I was expecting less than this due to the circumstances in which I received the eggs. My problem lies in the fact that I only have two bators (1 with Calls and 1 with Pekin and Muscovy eggs) and when I get to lockdown period.... well... the Muscovies still need to be turned and sitting for another (almost) 10 days. Should I try to lockdown both breeds in the same bator or should I attempt to locate another bator for the Pekin lockdown?

The call eggs were set later than the Muscovy + Pekin, but the Muscovies cannot go into call incubator as there is currently too many eggs in that one as it is.

My third and final question is about cooldowns and misting for duck eggs.... anybody have any good stories on this? Swear by it? Don't recommend doing it?

Last edited:
Until you have external pips there's no reason you can't open your incubator to continue to turn the Muscovy eggs. Skipping a few days while the Pekins hatch won't worry them at this late stage of incubation.

I kept the humidity around 35-40%, then increased it to 75% for hatching when I hatched Muscovy. It does depend a lot on your climate (whether it's particularly dry or more humid) as to the perfect setting for your set-up. As long as the air cells seem to be developing well I'd keep doing what you are doing, but if they seem a little on the small side then you can reduce the humidity a bit.

I hope you have a great hatch!

Until you have external pips there's no reason you can't open your incubator to continue to turn the Muscovy eggs. Skipping a few days while the Pekins hatch won't worry them at this late stage of incubation.

I kept the humidity around 35-40%, then increased it to 75% for hatching when I hatched Muscovy. It does depend a lot on your climate (whether it's particularly dry or more humid) as to the perfect setting for your set-up. As long as the air cells seem to be developing well I'd keep doing what you are doing, but if they seem a little on the small side then you can reduce the humidity a bit.

I hope you have a great hatch!
Hmmm I have it in upper 40s at the moment for both sets, and read somewhere on here to have the Call Duck eggs at 100 degrees. I cannot seem to get it to lower for the 35% to 40% range.

Do you know of any materials that offer where air cells should be? My Pekin and Muscovies are on day 11 and the Calls are on day 6ish (had a incubator mishap being unplugged for about a day, but just candled a few and saw some heartbeat / development).

Thank you, me as well! >.< The Calls were mail order so I am impressed with them thus far.

1617849858702.png

Here's a diagram - hope that helps. Don't be concerned if yours don't match up exactly and there's always a bit of variation between the eggs. It's amazing how much bigger the air cells get when they draw down just prior to the ducklings pipping internally.

From what I've read Call ducks can have issues hatching because of their shortened bills and necks so just read up as much as you can so that you are prepared for any eventuality.

There are ways of lowering the humidity if you think you need to, such as a sock full of rice, or one member actually baked kitchen sponges until they were super dry then added them to the incubator to reduce the humidity. But if the air cells appear to be growing steadily then I wouldn't worry about changing it at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom