Duck Egg Question(s)!

DuckDuckPromise

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 4, 2021
Hi there! Hope y’all are having a blessed day! I am completely, totally, 100% new to incubation/hatching. I was super blessed and got an incubator for Christmas! My Mom and I are looking into doing a few hatches, Good Lord’s Willing!! This particular incubator has a spot for candling (I believe that’s the right word for this!) and I tried to “candle” a Cayuga ducky egg in it the other day. (I did not set it or any others in the incubator...) Our drake is very active, so I’m sure it’s possible that it is fertilized. But I can’t tell from “candling”!!! It’s like an egg sonogram, and I’m no good at human sonograms!! 😂 Anyways, if you can tell if it is or not, please let us know!! Also, please feel free to drop any of your favorite tips below!! There’s so much great information on this website, and great people as well, so I’d love to get some “inside” tips from my fowl friends! Y’all have a blessed day!

Attachments

• BCDD4C39-605A-43C7-95D4-DFBEBEC3D2BA.jpeg
    BCDD4C39-605A-43C7-95D4-DFBEBEC3D2BA.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 68B458A0-2FAE-4AF7-8B6B-578958FF65D4.jpeg
    68B458A0-2FAE-4AF7-8B6B-578958FF65D4.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 2
If you were wanting to get an idea of fertility before you put a batch into the incubator you can check for bullseyes in the yolks of eggs you are intending to eat.

There are photos in the link below for reference.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threadloom/search?query=fertile eggs&tab=619
Yes! That’s absolutely what my intentions were! No point in setting an egg in the incubator if there’s no baby critter in there!! Thank you so much!! Now this oughta be interestin!!

Back
Top Bottom