Duck egg question

loriginal86

Hatching
Aug 13, 2023
Hey,
I have 2 female ducks. One of them just recently started laying eggs. The other one hasn't laid any yet, but they are young. Today I was cleaning the egg they laid this morning, when I noticed a zig zag shaped crack in it. So I cracked it into a cup and there were this strange white chunks in it. Does anyone know what it could be? Maybe calcium deposits. I have been giving them oyster shells.

Attachments

• 20230813_141403.jpg
    20230813_141403.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 30
Hey,
I have 2 female ducks. One of them just recently started laying eggs. The other one hasn't laid any yet, but they are young. Today I was cleaning the egg they laid this morning, when I noticed a zig zag shaped crack in it. So I cracked it into a cup and there were this strange white chunks in it. Does anyone know what it could be? Maybe calcium deposits. I have been giving them oyster shells.
I believe they are protein deposits or meat spots. It is normal to have the white chalazae, the proteins that hold the yolk in place. Your eggs look like you just got extra. Or, maybe they are meat spots. Meat spots are when a few cells of the reproductive organs gets trapped inside an egg. Either way, being a new layer, I wouldn't be concerned unless it continues.

I believe they are protein deposits or meat spots. It is normal to have the white chalazae, the proteins that hold the yolk in place. Your eggs look like you just got extra. Or, maybe they are meat spots. Meat spots are when a few cells of the reproductive organs gets trapped inside an egg. Either way, being a new layer, I wouldn't be concerned unless it continues.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom