Duck eggs causing me stomach pain?

kurtjackieprovost

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
I've planned a year for my ducks, We've worked so hard to make it a perfect place for our flock. We are finally getting 4 eggs a day. Enough for our family and some to give away. Now all of a sudden, I get terrible stomach pain after eating duck eggs. :(My son also complains of stomach pain.) What gives?
barnie.gif
Could we have developed an allergy? Are they just to rich for our systems to handle? If I change the feed, will it change the eggs?
fl.gif
Has anyone else had this happen?
hu.gif
I'm so disapointed I could cry.
hit.gif

Wow I've never heard of that before. You very well could have a allergy to it. They could also just be too rich to handle. I don't think the feed would change it but it's worth a try. I've never eaten any of my birds eggs. I'm sorry this is happening to you
hugs.gif
. How were the eggs prepared?

My wife has the same problem, She has a intolerence of potasium cant eat bannas or avacodos and duck eggs are high in that

Quote:
I made a quiche with added cheese, and also a regular cooked egg. I've eaten them fried in the past without any problem, now there is a big problem.

Have you changed their feed lately? Is it a corn-based feed? Do you have a sensitivity to corn? Maybe it isn't the eggs, but the dairy in the quiche.

I can't eat duck eggs either. Be careful, the more you eat them the worse the reaction will be every time. Mine went from stomach pain to vomiting and swollen eyes. Haven't eaten one since. I am developing an intolerance to chicken eggs too.
sad.png
However, I have read that a gluten or other serious intolerance will make you more sensitive to difficult to digest foods. It might be worth getting an allergy test done. I think that's what I'll being doing after the first of the year.

If I eat chicken eggs from the store over easy they hurt my stomach and make me feel queasy. I haven't had that problem with my eggs. I'm not sure why, but my girls don't eat much of their layer normally, so it could be a feed thing. Maybe try switching their feed to see if that helps?

Do they free range? Just curious, because they can eat about ANYTHING. That, I'm sure, will make the eggs taste "different". Not sure whether that would cause stomach pain though......
caf.gif

if you're interested in finding out exactly what you're reacting to, you have to eliminate everything else... eat just one thing and see if you react to it.
here are a couple of things to try:

1) hard boil a single duck egg and eat it, plain with nothing else - if you still have pain it's definitely something about the duck or the duck feed. try the same with a chicken egg just to be sure it isn't eggs in general.

2) if no reaction to the hard boiled egg, try fixing one duck egg in the way you usually eat it (fried?) but with nothing else, just the egg on a non-stick pan. sometimes folks can eat the eggs, but only if they're cooked, not raw. try this again with a chicken egg, just to be sure.

if it's definitely an issue with the duck eggs, you can try changing their feed. my neighbor can't eat the eggs from her chickens, but can eat commercial eggs... she's very alergic to alfalfa and her chickens eat their horse's alfalfa... she's reacting to that, not the egg itself.

duck eggs are richer than chicken eggs. if it's a too-rich issue, you can try using half duck eggs and half chicken eggs when you scramble them.

I'd be pretty sad if I had to give up duck eggs... sorry you're having trouble with them.
sad.png

I just find them to have a very earthy taste, but they did not make me sick. Go see a Dr. Right away. It could be something in the ducks egg or like some said....allergues. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom