Duck eggs causing me stomach pain?

kurtjackieprovost

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
I've planned a year for my ducks, We've worked so hard to make it a perfect place for our flock. We are finally getting 4 eggs a day. Enough for our family and some to give away. Now all of a sudden, I get terrible stomach pain after eating duck eggs. :(My son also complains of stomach pain.) What gives?
barnie.gif
Could we have developed an allergy? Are they just to rich for our systems to handle? If I change the feed, will it change the eggs?
fl.gif
Has anyone else had this happen?
hu.gif
I'm so disapointed I could cry.
hit.gif

If I eat chicken eggs or duck eggs that are fed poultry feed with soy protein, I violently throw up within hours of having them. I thought I'd have top give up eggs permanently but I found a local duck farmer that fed corn and soy free food to her Khaki Campbell ducks and her chickens. Never got sick off her chicken or duck eggs. Never went back to the other farms.

My own girls just started laying this past weekend. I've had three of their eggs since and not had any stomach issues. I feed corn-free soy-free food, too.

Salmonella could be a possibility but i think salmonella affects both ends.

If you think it's an allergic reaction, I'd consider allergy testing for eggs and soy. Soy used in animal feeds is not well tolerated by some people.

I hope you can find a solution. Duck eggs are one of my favorite foods.

PS- my gall bladder was removed a few years ago. If i still had it I would have asked my GP to evaluate me for gall bladder troubles.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I should answer the feed question. I'll delete if it was directed at other users :)

I feed Scratch and Peck soy free corn free feed. Their treats are kale, cabbage, and steamed potatoes. Extra protein sources are ziwi peak venison cat food and black soldier fly larvae.

One of my hens started laying right after Thanksgiving and we've eaten every one of her eggs since then. No stomach problems, no rib cracking vomiting etc. No weird tastes in the eggs.

I am glad that I ran across this thread - My son complains every time he eats my duck eggs - out of a family of 8 he is the only one that has a problem. Now at least I know that other people also have issues and it is not all in his head
he.gif

I had one customer whose husband claimed he got bad eggs, as he got sick when he ate them (thought it didn't bother him in baked goods). No one else in the family was getting sick, so I quizzed the wife and found that he was eating his eggs "over easy".

No farm egg should be eaten 'over easy,' as I indicate on the egg box. Actually to be safe, perhaps no egg should be eaten without being fully cooked per FDA recommendation. My sister said chicken eggs at the store go through some kind of process and the hens have require vaccinations that backyard growers don't really need. So commercial eggs CAN be safer when partially cooked, but it's not a guarantee.

Anyway, my point is:

1. Yes people can be sensitive to duck eggs that manifest by stomach-ache or severe sickness due to an allergy or not being able to tolerate a rich egg.
2. If eating them partially cooked, you are running the risk of salmonella issues (I think with any egg, but this is just my opinion).

Keep um healthy--Keep um Happy -- Quack Quack

So I'm reading this post while feeling the beginning signs of duck egg stomach pain. I reluctantly ate the whites of the duck egg after having two episodes of severe stomach pain just to see if the yolk was causing the problem. Unfortunately it appears the whites cause the pain just as bad as the whole egg.

I don't want to say for sure if I know what's causing the pain, but I think I may know what can help the pain go away faster.

Back in Jan 2014 I ran a half marathon in Disney World. After the race me and my family went to a dessert party which was awesome. That night I had the worst stomach cramping I've ever felt in my life. I initially thought I was having a heart attack because I couldn't pinpoint the pain.

After a trip to the hospital an IV and some meds, I was told the pain was caused by possible dehydration, gas, and stomach irritation.

I felt this exact same pain in my stomach the 1st time I ate my duck eggs. I figured I had an allergy to the eggs, but wasn't sure. I was bent over our bed in pain when I remembered that the doctor said gas could have been a part of the problem last time I had this stomach pain. I took some gas-x and slowly began to feel better.

I ate duck eggs again to verify the duck eggs were the issue and sure enough I felt the beginning signs of stomach pain. Took some gas-x and the pain went away before it got severe.

As I'm writing this I'm starting to feel better from my initial stomach pain I was feeling from the egg whites.

I don't know if gas is the problem for everyone, but I wanted to give some of y'all a possible remedy for the pain before it gets too bad. I'm sure I could probably take the gas-x right after eating and not feel any pain, but I'll hold off to attempt that until another date.

After hearing all the comment on duck eggs, I have come to the conclusion that it is a gallbladder problem. Duck eggs are richer and the gallbladder needs to put out more bile to desolve the fat Most people need more bile and I take it in Ox Bile, over the counter. I have been taking this before and really see the need for it know. The Duck Egg is too nutritious to give up, since I am also allergic to the chicken egg.I also use spice flavorings that do not have msg. Gas is caused by gallbladder problems, so is poop that floats. Fat floats.

Let me know if you find a feed. I was recently told to feed ducks pig feed instead of chicken layer pellets, but have not looked into that and would think that pig feed also had soy in it. \

On the washing eggs - they store longer if they are not washed. There was a recent discussion on that here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/1037656

I store my eggs unwashed in the fridge but I do wash them very well before i cook with them. I have a really hard time getting a clean crack in duck eggs so i either have to fish bits of shell out of the raw eggs or i end up with egg white running down the side of the shell.

I wish I could figure out where you are getting soy free food. keep you all posted on what happens when i switch feed. i have been able to eat stuff made with the eggs just not hard boiled.....

As an update to my original post on being sensitive/allergic to the duck eggs. I did have to stop eating them completely. Change of feed or how I cooked them made no difference. I did notice that if I froze the baked good, example banana bread I could tolerate it. I believe the proteins break down during the freezing process. My husband continues to eat them and the rest get tossed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom