Duck eggs causing me stomach pain?

This freaked me out for a while because I started with ducks specifically because I love their eggs but I'd like to know if these are mallard ducks or muscovies (I have muscovies) and whether or not that makes a difference.

Also, do people wash the eggs before using them?

I was worried about developing an allergy if this is something that occurs commonly, but I've eaten duck eggs throughout my life without a problem--however, they were always salted and preserved that way. I wonder if someone could prepare them salted and see if they still have the reaction, or go to the Asian supermarket and get one of the salted ones and try a bit to see if it still happens. If it does, then I think maybe allergies, if not, then it's something about how it's prepared or the specific ducks they have. (The salted ones are extremely salty, meant as something to be paired with bland rice or a little crumbled sautéed with veggies.)

On the washing eggs - they store longer if they are not washed. There was a recent discussion on that here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/1037656

thanks everyone- when I bought duck eggs a few years ago, most times were fine, but every now and then since i was only one eating them I would eat 2/3 and not feel well. then when I started raising chickens it was just a matter of less then a year for ducks - so yeah ducks - yummy eggs totally excited. I am now getting 3 eggs a day and realized after starting to hard boil them in the best way ever *** side note - hard boiling fresh eggs. bring water to boil - then add eggs - boil min 15 min. then cold ice water bath -***

I ate 2 hard boiled duck eggs and thought I was going to be so sick, people at work when I stated not feeling well that day stated - 'ya look a little green. It took me two more times before I realized it was the duck eggs, since we have both fresh, I often mix them and since the duck are so much bigger then the duck, for hard boiled egg snack at work I would take one of each and sometimes notice stomach stuff, but hey - I have a 'weak' stomach anyway.

But after testing - it is the duck eggs. SADNESS just does not cover it as i have always loved duck eggs. I am going to look into different feed. and not eating them for a while. but total SADNESS....

If you had luck with changing feed, please let me know.

If I eat chicken eggs or duck eggs that are fed poultry feed with soy protein, I violently throw up within hours of having them. I thought I'd have top give up eggs permanently but I found a local duck farmer that fed corn and soy free food to her Khaki Campbell ducks and her chickens. Never got sick off her chicken or duck eggs. Never went back to the other farms.

My own girls just started laying this past weekend. I've had three of their eggs since and not had any stomach issues. I feed corn-free soy-free food, too.

Salmonella could be a possibility but i think salmonella affects both ends.

If you think it's an allergic reaction, I'd consider allergy testing for eggs and soy. Soy used in animal feeds is not well tolerated by some people.

I hope you can find a solution. Duck eggs are one of my favorite foods.

PS- my gall bladder was removed a few years ago. If i still had it I would have asked my GP to evaluate me for gall bladder troubles.

Last edited:
So I'm reading this post while feeling the beginning signs of duck egg stomach pain. I reluctantly ate the whites of the duck egg after having two episodes of severe stomach pain just to see if the yolk was causing the problem. Unfortunately it appears the whites cause the pain just as bad as the whole egg.

I don't want to say for sure if I know what's causing the pain, but I think I may know what can help the pain go away faster.

Back in Jan 2014 I ran a half marathon in Disney World. After the race me and my family went to a dessert party which was awesome. That night I had the worst stomach cramping I've ever felt in my life. I initially thought I was having a heart attack because I couldn't pinpoint the pain.

After a trip to the hospital an IV and some meds, I was told the pain was caused by possible dehydration, gas, and stomach irritation.

I felt this exact same pain in my stomach the 1st time I ate my duck eggs. I figured I had an allergy to the eggs, but wasn't sure. I was bent over our bed in pain when I remembered that the doctor said gas could have been a part of the problem last time I had this stomach pain. I took some gas-x and slowly began to feel better.

I ate duck eggs again to verify the duck eggs were the issue and sure enough I felt the beginning signs of stomach pain. Took some gas-x and the pain went away before it got severe.

As I'm writing this I'm starting to feel better from my initial stomach pain I was feeling from the egg whites.

I don't know if gas is the problem for everyone, but I wanted to give some of y'all a possible remedy for the pain before it gets too bad. I'm sure I could probably take the gas-x right after eating and not feel any pain, but I'll hold off to attempt that until another date.

After hearing all the comment on duck eggs, I have come to the conclusion that it is a gallbladder problem. Duck eggs are richer and the gallbladder needs to put out more bile to desolve the fat Most people need more bile and I take it in Ox Bile, over the counter. I have been taking this before and really see the need for it know. The Duck Egg is too nutritious to give up, since I am also allergic to the chicken egg.I also use spice flavorings that do not have msg. Gas is caused by gallbladder problems, so is poop that floats. Fat floats.

Let me know if you find a feed. I was recently told to feed ducks pig feed instead of chicken layer pellets, but have not looked into that and would think that pig feed also had soy in it. \

On the washing eggs - they store longer if they are not washed. There was a recent discussion on that here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/1037656

I store my eggs unwashed in the fridge but I do wash them very well before i cook with them. I have a really hard time getting a clean crack in duck eggs so i either have to fish bits of shell out of the raw eggs or i end up with egg white running down the side of the shell.

I'm not sure if I should answer the feed question. I'll delete if it was directed at other users :)

I feed Scratch and Peck soy free corn free feed. Their treats are kale, cabbage, and steamed potatoes. Extra protein sources are ziwi peak venison cat food and black soldier fly larvae.

One of my hens started laying right after Thanksgiving and we've eaten every one of her eggs since then. No stomach problems, no rib cracking vomiting etc. No weird tastes in the eggs.

I wish I could figure out where you are getting soy free food. keep you all posted on what happens when i switch feed. i have been able to eat stuff made with the eggs just not hard boiled.....

Back
Top Bottom