Duck eggs day 21 Air cell photos and Incubation pictures

Is she full Runner or a mix? If mix do you know breeds? Just like us humans we all come in different sizes so Speck will be small size ( if she was human it would be easy finding clothes for her ) hopefully your concern won’t amount to anything since she’s eating drinking and gaining weight.
I know, hopefully I’m just being paranoid 😅 I worry extra because she started out so uncoordinated so whether that was neurological, vision related, or a deficiency, I don’t know. But I’m continuing the vitamin treatment of course and her coordination has improved daily.
She’s one of my ducks’ babies so she is a mix. The breeds that I know are in the mix are: Cayuga, Silver Appleyard, Khaki Campbell, probably Swedish Black. To me it looks like Speck will be blue/grey with white markings.

The 10 big kids enjoying their outdoor time
AAED19E8-1639-43D1-A087-B5DC82CA1927.jpeg
B8FB2591-7C38-4103-AF43-9D5CA7783A9C.jpeg
867FE2AE-E739-4648-B4EA-944F465EF4CE.jpeg

Speck is 15 days old now and life is still a rollercoaster. I was hoping by now Speck would be thriving and catching up with her siblings but that’s not the case. She isn’t doing badly: eating, drinking, slowly growing. But still tiny and today she was displaying more neurological symptoms like when she was younger: running in circles, trying to drink but missing the dish and dabbling the air instead, and acting hyper. I had stopped giving Speck vitamin E 2 days ago, but I resumed that tonight and I’m hoping that will kick in and help. It seemed to help before. I also hand fed her a lot this evening and got quite a bit of vitamin b in her, and afterwards she seemed a bit less neurotic.

The other problem is Speck’s 2 buddies, Div and Coriander. They are huge compared to Speck and they are constantly spilling Speck’s food, spilling water everywhere, making a giant mess- being normal ducklings. Plus they like to sit on top of the heat plate and ignore Speck so they aren’t even good friends. I would like to move them outside with the other ducklings but I don’t want to put Speck outside because it’s harder for me to give Speck the TLC she needs when she’s outside.

So I’m thinking of getting a new friend for Speck:
Option 1: a newly hatched duckling so it will be smaller. But I’m worried it will quickly outgrow Speck.
Option 2: a chicken chick. A chick would be less messy and a bit slower growing. I have a chicken flock so it could move in with the chickens when it grows up

I'm sorry Speck has had a set back but it sounds like you are getting it over with quick now that you know what to do.
I would go with a Call or a Mallard? both similar in size. Give Speck a mirror for company while you search and move the 2 big ones out with the rest.

Speck seems to be great this morning but this situation is ridiculous and unsustainable 😩 Look how tiny she is compared to those big bulldozers. They have a chick waterer because anything else the big ducklings will quickly dabble out the water until it’s too low for Speck to drink. I’m hesitant to leave Speck with only a mirror in case she goes downhill from the stress. So far I haven’t been able to find a new companion 😢
12707AD6-8CC3-456F-B56F-84D73DC5F45F.jpeg

Speck seems to be great this morning but this situation is ridiculous and unsustainable 😩 Look how tiny she is compared to those big bulldozers. They have a chick waterer because anything else the big ducklings will quickly dabble out the water until it’s too low for Speck to drink. I’m hesitant to leave Speck with only a mirror in case she goes downhill from the stress. So far I haven’t been able to find a new companion 😢
View attachment 3806177
Speck is def tiny, but if the other ducklings aren't paying her any attention possibly stepping on her it maybe best to remove them and give her a mirror to keep her company. Of course it's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom