Duck Eggs in Lockdown - Peeping but no pips?

I took newly hatched duckling out and into the brooder because it looked like she was having labored breathing and after peeping for so long after hatching suddenly seemed to quiet down... she seems scared of her bigger fluffier siblings...

I can see it's beak now; it is breathing and peeping if you talk to it... everyone else is doing awesome, they are so fluffy! They're like little bitty soft pillows. I took two outside just for fun and showed them to my grown ducks; they didn't want anything to do with each other :D Some of them are fine with being held, others peep their heads off.

I chipped away a bit of the shell and applied coconut oil to the membrane and it turned darker, not clear like I see in some pictures? It occasionally sticks a bit of its beak outside the pip... I guess I'm just being impatient

Can you explain what you mean about the membrane turning darker? Is it a dark colored duckling? The membrane itself should look clear, like plastic wrap. Are there any/many blood vessels visible?

Back
Top Bottom