Duck eggs on lock down

Cliftonsfarm

Chirping
May 4, 2016
I have started this project with my 6th grader. We have 14 eggs in the incubator (which was gave to us) it has a tilting rack. We turned this off this morning. We are on day 28. Temp has been relatively consistent 98.5 - 100.
Humidity uncertain.. have been keeping water in bator. My question is.....
Do we take the eggs out from the tilting rack?? All have movement at last candling. I am seeing so many different opinions on this. I am not sure. Can they stay in the tilting rack till they pipp?? Any help would greatly be appreciated. This is our first time doing something like this and defiantly don't want to hurt these babies.....
Thought??

Oh... different types of duck eggs from Peking to Mallards to who knows what else.....

I turned off th tilted in an upright position....going to leave eggs in rack since we are on the 28th day....but I don't hear or see any movement.... is this normal? How do I know if I turned the tilted off to soon ??

I turned off th tilted in an upright position....going to leave eggs in rack since we are on the 28th day....but I don't hear or see any movement.... is this normal? How do I know if I turned the tilted off to soon ??
First if using an automatic turner it is best to take them out because little legs can get injured and splayed trying to walk across them.
Eggs do not NEED to be turned in the last week, so as long as you didn't stop turning before that you are fine. Most often, at least with my hatches, I don't see movement before the pip the majority of the time. If your temps were a tad low you could just see a delay in hatching.

Update:
We have pipping which started at 2pm. We heard him peeping and a Crack in the egg with a small piece broken off.... the membrane is not broken though....
It has now been 8 hours and see no change and hear nothing..... is this normal?? When do I intervene and help??

Within the 8 hrs. I have 2 more that has started pipping....

First if using an automatic turner it is best to take them out because little legs can get injured and splayed trying to walk across them.
Eggs do not NEED to be turned in the last week, so as long as you didn't stop turning before that you are fine.  Most often, at least with my hatches, I don't see movement before the pip the majority of the time.  If your temps were a tad low you could just see a delay in hatching.

Thank you we took the turners out and now have 3 that have started pipping

Update:
We have pipping which started at 2pm. We heard him peeping and a Crack in the egg with a small piece broken off.... the membrane is not broken though....
It has now been 8 hours and see no change and hear nothing..... is this normal?? When do I intervene and help??

Within the 8 hrs. I have 2 more that has started pipping....
Duck can take even longer than chicken eggs to progress. With chickens it's not unusual to see 24 hours between progression, from my understanding ducks can go 48.

Duck can take even longer than chicken eggs to progress. With chickens it's not unusual to see 24 hours between progression, from my understanding ducks can go 48.

Oh wow... ok... this is out first time hatching so we are a little nervous, especially my son. The one that really isn't progressed is a smaller egg..... the other two that started have progressed a lot further along but they are larger eggs...

Thank You for the input all help is appreciated.

Oh wow... ok... this is out first time hatching so we are a little nervous, especially my son. The one that really isn't progressed is a smaller egg..... the other two that started have progressed a lot further along but they are larger eggs...

Thank You for the input all help is appreciated.
Some will hatch quicker than that, just don't be too anxious if they take longer. I do chickens and I rarely have pippers zip before 10 hours. Usually between 12-18. Once they hit 18 hours I start getting antsy even though I know they can take a full 24 hours or longer...lol

The vascular system between the egg and hatchling has to shut down for them to be ready to hatch (and that can take forever) and sometimes they are still finishing absorbing the yolk.

Some will hatch quicker than that, just don't be too anxious if they take longer. I do chickens and I rarely have pippers zip before 10 hours. Usually between 12-18. Once they hit 18 hours I start getting antsy even though I know they can take a full 24 hours or longer...lol

The vascular system between the egg and hatchling has to shut down for them to be ready to hatch (and that can take forever) and sometimes they are still finishing absorbing the yolk.

Gotcha... ok....
For this to be a home school project... I think I am learning more than my son....he us laid back and I am the one panicking. .. lol

Thank you helping me...

Gotcha... ok....
For this to be a home school project... I think I am learning more than my son....he us laid back and I am the one panicking. .. lol

Thank you helping me...
That's exactly how I ended up raising chickens...lol It was a homeschool project for my son's 1st grade oviparous animal study. Anything that hatched was supposed to go back to my sister along with her incubator. Let's just say two years later and two coops later, I still have her incubator....lol

Back
Top Bottom