duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chick_in_Indiana, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    What do duck eggs look like ? I had 2 eggs on the straw in my coop where my ducks sleep. But I was told my ducks were males. But the eggs dont look anything like what my chickens have been laying. Thanks a bunch.

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

They are different coloring than chickens eggs. My Muscovies lay a BIG egg that has a green tint to it......much bigger, so you dont have drakes [​IMG] what breed of duck do you have?

3. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    The one I now think is a female is a pekin and the other one I think is a mix. He is black, white, dark gray and a little bit of brownish tint on the ends of his feathers. Aflack and Quackers. I also have 5 quineas and 11 chickens.

4. okiechick57

Well sounds like you have at least one female....good luck.... they are great for baking with....and I use them to make crafts because the shell is so thick.

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Duck eggs arent always different colored. I get white duck eggs!

With duck eggs though, they will look shiny, like someone put wax on them. Sometimes its easy to notice, other times its a little difficult. They will usually be bigger than chicken eggs too. If they are white, and you dont have any chickens that lay white eggs, you have a female duck. [​IMG]

6. okiechick57

Quote:So true..............sorry bout that........ :|

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Okie, I've seen it mentioned several times that duck eggs are good for baking with? Why is that? I'm just curious, in case I do happen to have a couple of ducks follow me home in the spring. [​IMG]

Right now I'm bummed out....just made the SO his birthday pie, used a different brand of vanilla than the brand I have always used. I did not like the taste of the pie at all, even though he says it's good. At 45, you'd think I'd know better than to switch from a reliable brand. Anyhow, I really am curious about the duck eggs because I do alot of baking.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Pastries are much lighter and pie crusts are flakier with duck eggs.

9. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Thought I'd say my pekin & white call eggs are white...opaque would be the word I would use. My snowy call eggs were a baby blueish color. I will have to try to find time to take a pic I guess if you are confused or you could post a pic. If it's a girl it would quack LOUD when bothered. If it's a boy, it would have it's little 'loop' feather and be more quiet.

And...I appreciate the cooking advise, i always feed my duck eggs that I don't sell for hatching to the dogs b/c I didn't have a use for them...
    Kristi

10. carugoman

carugoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    NW FL Crestview
    I eat my duck eggs,since they make a fabulous fluffy omelet! Also,they're fantastic for souffles. The egg yolk has 25% less of the dense lipids that chicken eggs do. As far as taste,some say they taste different...for me,duck eggs seem to have a eggier taste?
    All Y'all Take care!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by