duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chick_in_Indiana, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Songster

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    What do duck eggs look like ? I had 2 eggs on the straw in my coop where my ducks sleep. But I was told my ducks were males. But the eggs dont look anything like what my chickens have been laying. Thanks a bunch.

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Songster

They are different coloring than chickens eggs. My Muscovies lay a BIG egg that has a green tint to it......much bigger, so you dont have drakes [​IMG] what breed of duck do you have?

3. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Songster

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    The one I now think is a female is a pekin and the other one I think is a mix. He is black, white, dark gray and a little bit of brownish tint on the ends of his feathers. Aflack and Quackers. I also have 5 quineas and 11 chickens.

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Songster

Well sounds like you have at least one female....good luck.... they are great for baking with....and I use them to make crafts because the shell is so thick.

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Duck eggs arent always different colored. I get white duck eggs!

With duck eggs though, they will look shiny, like someone put wax on them. Sometimes its easy to notice, other times its a little difficult. They will usually be bigger than chicken eggs too. If they are white, and you dont have any chickens that lay white eggs, you have a female duck. [​IMG]

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Songster

Quote:So true..............sorry bout that........ :|

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Okie, I've seen it mentioned several times that duck eggs are good for baking with? Why is that? I'm just curious, in case I do happen to have a couple of ducks follow me home in the spring. [​IMG]

Right now I'm bummed out....just made the SO his birthday pie, used a different brand of vanilla than the brand I have always used. I did not like the taste of the pie at all, even though he says it's good. At 45, you'd think I'd know better than to switch from a reliable brand. Anyhow, I really am curious about the duck eggs because I do alot of baking.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  8. kstaven

kstaven Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Pastries are much lighter and pie crusts are flakier with duck eggs.

9. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Songster

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Thought I'd say my pekin & white call eggs are white...opaque would be the word I would use. My snowy call eggs were a baby blueish color. I will have to try to find time to take a pic I guess if you are confused or you could post a pic. If it's a girl it would quack LOUD when bothered. If it's a boy, it would have it's little 'loop' feather and be more quiet.

And...I appreciate the cooking advise, i always feed my duck eggs that I don't sell for hatching to the dogs b/c I didn't have a use for them...
    Kristi

10. carugoman

carugoman Songster

Nov 8, 2007
    NW FL Crestview
    I eat my duck eggs,since they make a fabulous fluffy omelet! Also,they're fantastic for souffles. The egg yolk has 25% less of the dense lipids that chicken eggs do. As far as taste,some say they taste different...for me,duck eggs seem to have a eggier taste?
    All Y'all Take care!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: