Duck Feeder Recommendations?

I made this feeder a while ago, and has been my favorite out of the various other feeders I've used. Built correctly, it will repel water. The whole feeder holds roughly one 40Lb bag of feed, and has a nice wide feeder opening so a couple birds can eat at once.

1613869402780.png

This is what I was planning to do once the little darlings are outside.
Well I did the little setup with an upside down bin with a duck sized hole in it, as of now I can't say I recommend it, the ducks are rather terrified to go in there and check it out. I only used a 30 gallon bin so maybe I need something bigger, but as of right now the ducks want nothing to do with it.

I really like some of these designs. I use the ones with large bin on top that feeds into tray below. I only put in a days worth each morning and feeders are kept in the run. Looking at some of those designs, I would be worried I would be spending a lot of money feeding the hoards of chipmunks and red squirrels here.

Well I did the little setup with an upside down bin with a duck sized hole in it, as of now I can't say I recommend it, the ducks are rather terrified to go in there and check it out. I only used a 30 gallon bin so maybe I need something bigger, but as of right now the ducks want nothing to do with it.
Maybe give them some time? Since it is new they might think it is going to eat them. Maybe you could put mealworms near the entrance and make the hole bigger?

Maybe give them some time? Since it is new they might think it is going to eat them. Maybe you could put mealworms near the entrance and make the hole bigger?
I made the hole bigger and moved the bowl right next to the hole so rhey don't really have to go in there to get the food they just stick their heads in, it seems to be working for now but I think I'm probably gonna have to upgrade to a bigger bin for it. Mealworms arw definitely a good idea to try, but I'll have to wait until my mealworm farm is actually producing mealworms.

Back
Top Bottom