Duck flock attacked by coyote

wannahomestead

Songster
Mar 25, 2015
Hello,

My ducks were attacked by a coyote tonight. I lost one to her wounds, and the remaining 3 have puncture wounds. I've cleaned them and applied triple antibiotic w/o any 'caine. They're all inside for observation for the next 24+ hours. I'm looking for any additional advice on course of treatment. Unfortunately veterinary service is not an option.

Thanks for your help

Sorry to hear such sad news. I think you did the best you were able to. I have no additional advice for duck"s wounds, but suggest you try to do something about coyote. They will return. Maybe the conservation department in your state can relocate them.
idunno.gif

Cavemanrich does not Kill anything , nor suggest someone else should do it. Only suggestion is to secure your coop, run, pond,??? There are multiple ways, Not sure what would be the best way for you.?
I feel with you over your loss.
sad.png
...................... I lost ALL my pigeons 2 weeks ago to a raccoon . I didn't loose any of my chicken pets though.

Sorry to hear such sad news. I think you did the best you were able to. I have no additional advice for duck"s wounds, but suggest you try to do something about coyote. They will return. Maybe the conservation department in your state can relocate them.
idunno.gif

Cavemanrich does not Kill anything , nor suggest someone else should do it. Only suggestion is to secure your coop, run, pond,??? There are multiple ways, Not sure what would be the best way for you.?
I feel with you over your loss.
sad.png
...................... I lost ALL my pigeons 2 weeks ago to a raccoon . I didn't loose any of my chicken pets though.
I'll be honest, if (when) the coyote returns, I have a bullet to donate to him. The loss of my girl khaki is hitting me harder than when I had to butcher 2 of my extra drakes. I've always known this was a potential outcome of having livestock, but it's still hard on me. I think it's so hard because I got my first egg ever today from my ducks, and I'm 90% sure it was from this poor girl.

I'm planning to bury her tomorrow. Should i use a cardboard box or something?

Thx for the help, this is the first time I've ever had to deal with anything like this, thankfully the Internet makes it so I don't have to go it alone :)

When I bury my pets, I just lay them into hole and cover with soil. Then I place a rock over area to prevent animals from digging it up. I RETURN THEM BACK TO EARTH.. If you do not have a stone to cover area, then use anything large to cover, ( heavy barrel , or what ever convenient.) After a while you can remove it. With my pigeons it was like a crime scene. Pieces all over and not to mention the color of the hay. I gathered it all together and "fire"

Very sad day.

Hello,

My ducks were attacked by a coyote tonight. I lost one to her wounds, and the remaining 3 have puncture wounds. I've cleaned them and applied triple antibiotic w/o any 'caine. They're all inside for observation for the next 24+ hours. I'm looking for any additional advice on course of treatment. Unfortunately veterinary service is not an option.

Thanks for your help

I'm sorry for your loss. Puncture wounds need to be cleaned thoroughly. If you have a needless syringe to push water into the wound to make sure there is nothing in there to fester and get infected is recommended. Neosporin is fine to put into it to protect and treat the area after washing it out. Keep it clean and watch for scabs. You want a puncture wound to be able to drain and get oxygen inside in order to heal. If a scab forms watch it carefully and if it looks like it's developing puss or infection under a scab you will have to remove it and clean again.

I'm sorry for your loss. Puncture wounds need to be cleaned thoroughly. If you have a needless syringe to push water into the wound to make sure there is nothing in there to fester and get infected is recommended. Neosporin is fine to put into it to protect and treat the area after washing it out. Keep it clean and watch for scabs. You want a puncture wound to be able to drain and get oxygen inside in order to heal. If a scab forms watch it carefully and if it looks like it's developing puss or infection under a scab you will have to remove it and clean again.

Thank you so much for this extra bit of information. I cleaned the wounds as best I can and plan to revisit them tomorrow. I hope to cut the feathers back more around the areas. I actually DO have syringes so I will irrigate the wounds before reapplying antibiotic.

Any thoughts on sprays such as the Blue-Kote and similar?

Thank you so much for this extra bit of information. I cleaned the wounds as best I can and plan to revisit them tomorrow. I hope to cut the feathers back more around the areas. I actually DO have syringes so I will irrigate the wounds before reapplying antibiotic.

Any thoughts on sprays such as the Blue-Kote and similar?

Cutting the feathers back is good so they don't get stuck into the wounds - good thinking.

Sprays like Vetericyn is fine - good in fact. You just don't want anything that will cover or seal the wound. You actually want it to heal exposed (open) so that oxygen can get in and naturally repair itself from the inside out to prevent bacteria from growing and infecting the wound. But topical antibiotics such as Neosporin and Vetericyn is good to help it stay clean and fight bacteria. I have never used the Blue-kote but it will be fine as long as it doesn't seal or cover the wound.

I'm so sorry for another loss.
hit.gif
It was likely a result of being traumatized. Hoping and praying that the others can be saved
fl.gif

I'm so sorry for another loss.
hit.gif
It was likely a result of being traumatized. Hoping and praying that the others can be saved
fl.gif
Thx @Free Spirit i'm hoping too. My male pekin is the next to be in rough shape, he has a significant bite wound on his leg. The female pekin is looking like she'll be ok if I can keep her wounds from being infected. It's ironic in a way because she's my disabled duck who can't walk/run well, and she's in the best shape at this point.

Do you really think the traumatic experience could be what did the poor boy in? I said he died of a broken heart because the poor little khaki girl was his favorite, but that's more romantic/poetic than scientific.

Back
Top Bottom