Duck food

Aki no niwatori

Songster
9 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia, Upson
Hallo, I am in the Middle Georgia area and looking for a good-quality duck feed. I was using Countrywise duck food but apparently, it is now 'out of season' which I find odd since ducks don't hibernate. I know they can eat chicken feed but I have had issues in the past where some ducks were not getting the right nutrients in their food and I would like to be able to feed them duck feed especially if there is a time I don't feel up to preparing everything to supplement their feed. They are not free-range.

I've had ducks for years, and have never heard of a duck feed going "out of season." My runner ducks eat Nutrena's Country Feed, which is available year round locally and can be ordered online.

I used to feed them the same all-flock feed as the chickens but, like you, I prefer to give them designated duck feed. When I did feed them chicken feed, I gave them lots of frozen peas to help supplement their niacin needs.

Hope you can find a good replacement feed for your ducks.

I've had ducks for years, and have never heard of a duck feed going "out of season." My runner ducks eat Nutrena's Country Feed, which is available year round locally and can be ordered online.

I used to feed them the same all-flock feed as the chickens but, like you, I prefer to give them designated duck feed. When I did feed them chicken feed, I gave them lots of frozen peas to help supplement their niacin needs.

Hope you can find a good replacement feed for your ducks.
Both Tractor supply and Nutrena are saying it isn't available in my area but I've even checked stores up in TN and many of them don't have it either. I say many because I haven't checked all of them. Tractor supply claims its 'out of season', but Nutrena is saying it is because their mills are at full capacity and I need to go talk to tractor supply again. It feels like I am going full circle between these two. My sister is advising me to switch to Tucker Mill's show flock Layer 17 and it is listed to have the niacin for a mixed flock.

For ducklings, I get chick feed (from Kentucky Organic, I order it by the ton) and add niacin (just order the powder online). I ferment my feed, so I put ¼tsp of the niacin powder water in a five gallon bucket, stir well, then add the chick feed and stir stir stir, add more water as necessary.

As our ducks get to laying age, my plan is to do the same except use layer feed and change the ratio as older ducks need less niacin (but still more than chickens), and perhaps supplement the protein a little more with nutritional yeast.

You said you had issues in the past, but just an idea.

Also, Azure looks to have two brands of duck feed right now. Requires planning ahead, but it's a good way to get what you need while avoiding crazy delivery fees:

https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/search/duck feed

I switched to using Grubby Farms, it's made from black soldier fly grubs and lots of other good stuff. My ducks seem to like it and it is delivered to the house.

Back
Top Bottom