Duck gender/breed identification needed!

I just have a thing about drakes. :(
I had a Pekin drake brutalize and pull the feathers out of my 5 females to the point of killing one. He has been rehomed now, but it's something I'd never want again.
Maybe he was a bad apple? Are drakes just murderous?

The white one is most likely a Pekin but I'm not sure about the other two, as for the gender it is hard to tell until their older, all of my male ducks who are not muscovies have a curled feather on their tails, but you would have to wait till they have adult feather to see that.

I’ve never had that experience with males. Mine do pull out a few feathers on their necks from breeding but otherwise they have never been so brutal. I’m sorry that you had that experience :( I think he was just a bad apple

Got them today! Here they are individually... (please watch for any gender giveaways)
That's Harley. She/He is like a nervous little bullet, zipping around and is the most fearful of me.
This is Gracie. She/He is much calmer, more mature than the others, and loves her food! She's the first to eat out of my hand.
Finally, here's Jamie. She/He is more neutral, a bit skittish, but less jumpy than Harley.
Are any genders made clear?

Got them today! Here they are individually... (please watch for any gender giveaways)
That's Harley. She/He is like a nervous little bullet, zipping around and is the most fearful of me.
This is Gracie. She/He is much calmer, more mature than the others, and loves her food! She's the first to eat out of my hand.
Finally, here's Jamie. She/He is more neutral, a bit skittish, but less jumpy than Harley.
Are any genders made clear?
They are definitely Pekins and cayugas. I have both. Bottom two videos are females. And they are around 7 weeks old. My cayugas are the same age. I get my cayugas to be very tame and calm. They are also more quiet than Pekins. Pekins are better layers though. Might I suggest giving the Pekin some nutri drench once a week for about a month? She looks really healthy but they can have leg issues. I’m dealing with one right now.:rolleyes:

Congratulations! I love my Pekins and cayugas.

Back
Top Bottom