Duck / Goose House Ventilation Question

Deja_view

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
Hello everyone,
I've been a long time lurker on BYC, and have finally gotten my ducklings and goslings.
My nine Welsh Harlequin ducklings are almost three weeks old, while my five Pilgrim goslings are four days old. They're all currently living in two sectioned off areas of my enclosed porch. Goodness knows they won't be able to stay there forever!
Which brings me to my questions regarding ventilation for my duck/goose house.
I am located in north central Pennsylvania, so I will be dealing with both hot summers and cold winters.
I have a vinyl / steel framed shed that is 8' x 15', which I plan to convert into their home. There is a set of double doors on one end, one window on one side, and two windows on the other side. There are also two vents, one at the top of either end wall.
I plan to remove the glass panes from the windows and mount hardware cloth across the openings. I am just not sure how much more ventilation I will need to add.
I had thought of installing a heavy duty exhaust fan in place of at least one of the top vents (maybe both), with the hope it would help with circulation by drawing out hot air and moisture. Mainly for summer use, I think.
I assumed that I would need to add some more vents or windows, closer to the bottom of the house, that could be closed during the winter. Plus, I have to add a door for their daily venturing in and out.
The house will be within an enclosed, predator proof run. It will be located within a mostly sunny area of my property, though a mulberry tree will be close by that will eventually provide some shade once it is big enough.
Would it be best to plan on having the double doors mostly open during the summer days? Vent placement? Exhaust fan use? Insulation? If so, just the roof or the walls as well? Further recommendations?
Photos below are an approximation of the shed I have.
Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions!

Since your shed will be in a predator proof area, I suggest you keep the large barn doors open during SUMMER, but make screen doors inside, that you can close. You can have just 1 screen door, and one barn door. During severe weather, close barn doors.

Year round ventilation can be from the open windows. Have hardware cloth installed in the opened frames, You would need awnings over those windows to keep rain, snow out. During severe WINTER weather,, close off windows.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Since your shed will be in a predator proof area, I suggest you keep the large barn doors open during SUMMER, but make screen doors inside, that you can close. You can have just 1 screen door, and one barn door. During severe weather, close barn doors.

Year round ventilation can be from the open windows. Have hardware cloth installed in the opened frames, You would need awnings over those windows to keep rain, snow out. During severe WINTER weather,, close off windows.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thank you for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom