Duck Grower & Niacin

Sugar Mountain

In the Brooder
May 19, 2015
We have been giving our ducks starter mix and using Niacin supplements in their water. We've now found Purina Chow Duck Grower. Does anyone know if I need to continue with the Niacin or if there's enough in the Duck Grower. Nowhere on the label can I find Niacin as a supplement.

I normally add a tablespoon of brewers yeast per cup of starter crumble. I don't feel comfortable putting it in the water because they waste a lot of water either by splashing it everywhere or getting it full of food I switch the water out at least twice a day I have holes in a water bottle for my duckling and a gallon water jug for my duck there is normally almost half left over when I change it out. If you don't see niacin in the label it probably doesn't have enough to record it on there. Check the ingredients and if it's one of the first few there would be a lot in there but if it's more towards the end of the ingredients list there is likely not very much at all

I'm new here and don't know where to post, but I need help!!!! My ducks legs are crossed and he can't walk. I've given him niacin in his water. I can't find brewers yeast. Today he took a turn for the worst! Now he's just laying on his tummy and can't stand up! No longer eating or drinking water. I'm beside myself over this!!!

Also I found powdered brewers yeast at the local animal feed store. They should have it at pet stores too. They will either have powder or pills which you can crush up to a fine powder I like to put it in the food because they seem to eat it more that way I sprinkle it on top

I'm new here and don't know where to post, but I need help!!!! My ducks legs are crossed and he can't walk. I've given him niacin in his water. I can't find brewers yeast. Today he took a turn for the worst! Now he's just laying on his tummy and can't stand up! No longer eating or drinking water. I'm beside myself over this!!!
How old is your duck? how long have you been giving the niacin? could it be an injury? tell us what kind of niacin.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly miss Lydia I don't know too much on this subject :( but I was able to find this
and here is the threads url https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ies-in-goslings-ducklings-growth-leg-problems https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ies-in-goslings-ducklings-growth-leg-problems

It is possible there is something else going on, such as an infection, or a back injury. A good duck vet would be best.

How much niacin is being given? How is the ducklings' appetite, poop, can it swim at all (don't leave it unattended near water)? There could be an ear infection affecting balance, a number of things including a congenital problem now surfacing. You could consider making a sling.

Back
Top Bottom