Duck Habitat Quest.

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I am new to the ducks. Was thinking of getting some in the spring. I do have an old well with a pretty big concrete slab ontop of it 24'x4'. Theres only acess to one side of it,This is where i can prob build a fence on that side to keep pred. out. I am wondering if this will be a good spot for them,theres also about 50'x100' Pond on it. I am also thinking about building a small hutch on the slab for the ducks to live in. Do ducks lay in a hutch or coop? or will i have to wander the pond looking for them? Any info will be greatly appriciated..thank you

Did you have a particular breed in mind- or are you still just thinking " ducks". Housing needs can differ slighlty depending on if you are getting heavier domesticated ducks- or the lighter ones able to fly.

Im not even to sure yet.. I'd like to get about 6-8 ducks to live on our pond and also get good egg production.. What would you recomend,and how big should i build the coop/hutch. Oh,i'd like to try to get some friendly ducks,i have 2 small children. We have 30 chickens now and my 4 yr. old daughter loves them.she loves collecting eggs and petting them. thank you

I had the same idea, however, after a snapping turtle took down one of my big Pekins, my ducks no longer go to the pond. You may want to fish for snappers before letting ducks on the pond.

88997_lineup.jpg

88997_watcher.jpg

Mine all hang around the baby pool now.

The most important consideration for housing is EZ to clean!!! Ducks are hogs. I am happy with what I built that has a sand floor. Then, I throw on pine needles or hay that is easily removed. I love my automatic waterers, but dread the freeze this winter. I may want less ventilation when it gets colder. You can see that 3 of the 8 sides allow air.

88997_bestfinalloonside.jpg

Back
Top Bottom