Duck has foamy eye? Need help!

Josie Harris

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2019
Hey, my duck is sick and I’m scared she is dying. I ended up with one girl and two boys which isn’t ideal but they didn’t seem to be hurting her. I noticed she was losing feathers on the back of her head, so I made plans to re-home either her or the boys.

Then she looked like she was getting possibly foamy eye. I separated her from the boys and started rinsing her eyes twice a day with a saline solution. Everything seemed healthy with her and she was growing back feathers, but wasn’t eating. I thought it was maybe stress so I put her back with the boys. The boys only bother her in the pool, so I thought it was fine if she wasn’t swimming.

I left on and emergency trip and when I returned she was way worse. Her eyes are now nearly completely shut and gunky. She stays in the coop alone all day, and will drink if I help her find it and will eat I tinny bit of treats like grass or her favorite weeds. I feel horrible for leaving her and I don’t have any idea how to help her. Any advice would be appreciated.

First off keep her away from the drakes. Then rinse her eyes really good with warm salty water 1/8 tea salt to 1 cup of warm water mix real well you need to see what her eye balls look like. Get some Terramycin eye ointment and begin using it according to directions. Can you get a picture up so we can see how she looks? How long has it been since she ate? Maybe try making a warm soupy mix of some of her feed put a little at her bill so she can taste it if she can’t open her eyes she can’t see where the food an water is.

Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here’s what she looks like:( She has been in the coop away from the boys for a few days now, and I will keep her away! I think she hasn’t eaten any of her feed or scratch since Wednesday, but I dug a lot of worms that she loved and she has eaten some of her favorite weeds

Wow bless her heart. I’m glad she is safe from the drakes hopefully she’ll begin to heal soon can you get the Terramycin for her eyes? And I’d get some good poultry vitamins to boost her immune system and hopefully stimulate appetite too.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I didn’t see them till I refreshed the page. I will get some Terramycin and vitamins as soon as I can. Would it be helpful to put Neosporin on her eyes till I get Terramycin?

You could try putting it around her eyes without putting directly in them and maybe that would get some healing started until you can get something that goes in the eye. Maybe with a Qtip and just apply it around her eyes like eyeliner.

Back
Top Bottom