Duck has its mouth open. What's wrong?

Mamasan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
One of my ducks is not closing it's mouth all the way. Does this indicate something?

Her (I think) mouth is open all the time. I noticed it yesterday and it has been ever since. She isn't panting and it's not wide open, just not all the way closed. Can't figure out how to post pics

I realize this might sound stupid, but maybe her nose is stopped up... ?
Does she have enough water to submerge her head in so she can clean her nostrils?

I realize this might sound stupid, but maybe her nose is stopped up... ?
Does she have enough water to submerge her head in so she can clean her nostrils?
Something to check. Stopped up nares cause mouth breathing. Or something has caused the inside of the upper mandible to be swollen. This is an important question - can she clean her whole head frequently?

Yes she has plenty of clean deep water. And I can see straight thru her nostrils- they don't look stopped up or clogged. I have opened her mouth and looked inside and don't see any sores or swelling and she doesn't mind me doing it so I dont think it hurts.

when my ducks were setting they would open their mouths and keep them open whenever I was around, kinda trying to ward me away....You said you think she's a female? Could she be hiding a clutch somewhere and be trying to guard it?

I think she's a female but no eggs yet. I got these 5 ducks a month ago and they had some feathers but still kinda fluffy too. A lady I know who has duck experience guessed they were 4 to 6 weeks old then. They are fully feathered now. Could she maybe just be getting close to laying? How old are ducks when they start laying? I don't know what kind of duck she is either. My friend said she is a mix and she is lighter than the others and sometimes stands up like a runner but not always. She does run that way though.

Last edited:
Ok this morning her mouth is open further and she's not even closing it when she drinks. She still came out of the house and headed straight for the pool and danced around in the spray from the hose like usual. I opened her mouth and looked in and just don't see anything that doesn't look right! Anyone have any ideas???

Back
Top Bottom