Duck has sore eye :-(

DucknChicken

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2015
Mt Eliza, Victoria, Australia
Hi,

I've just noticed my 2 month old duck has a sore eye - I've attached a photo - does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be and how I should treat it?

hope you can see it ok. She seems fine otherwise but it is annoying her :-(

Thanks in advance
Deb

Can't enlarge enough to see clearly.

Have you examined her closely to make sure there is no foreign body in the eye and no scratch on the cornea. And no yellowish drainage. If none, try antibiotic eye drops or antibiotic eye ointments. I don't have a resource for those, but you could ask a local vet for prescription?

Hi,

I've just noticed my 2 month old duck has a sore eye - I've attached a photo - does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be and how I should treat it?

hope you can see it ok. She seems fine otherwise but it is annoying her :-(

Thanks in advance
Deb
I'd rinse it with a saline wash first. make sure to check there isn't something in her eye. I found the best way to examine is to wrap in a large towel then you don't have to deal with wings flapping. You can get Terramycin eye ointment at most feed stores or Veterycin spray for wounds and infections, it also comes for the eyes too. You can also try adding some Apple Cider Vinegar to her water bucket it can help wash out and cleanse an irritated eye. Be sure to check that there isn't something in there.
@DucknChicken here is a simple eye wash taken from Examiner.com
Boil 1 cup of water add half teaspoon of salt up to 1 teaspoon, let it cool before using. Use a dropper to rinse the eye. After a few days make up another batch . Salt is a natural antibiotic and kills bacteria on contact.

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia - thanks so much - I will do the saline and see if that works.

@sunflour - I did take a closer look and her actual eye is quite red but didn't have my glasses on so couldn't see if there was anything in there. Once I've got the saline ready I'll get a good look at it (with glasses) and hope for the best.

Thanks so much for all your help guys :)

Last edited:
just thought I'd give a quick update - 'Daisy the Duck' seems to be on the mend - I washed it with the saline as suggested and it has cleared up quite a bit - not as irritated. I didn't see anything in there however it was inflamed and had some skin over the corner of her eye (if that makes sense) - I will wash it again tomorrow and see how she is. If still irritated in the morning I will go to the chemist and get some eye ointment for her and go from there. Vet just isn't an option as they charge a fortune over here to just walk through the door :(

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again :)

I'd rinse it with a saline wash first. make sure to check there isn't something in her eye. I found the best way to examine is to wrap in a large towel then you don't have to deal with wings flapping. You can get Terramycin eye ointment at most feed stores or Veterycin spray for wounds and infections, it also comes for the eyes too. You can also try adding some Apple Cider Vinegar to her water bucket it can help wash out and cleanse an irritated eye. Be sure to check that there isn't something in there.
@DucknChicken here is a simple eye wash taken from Examiner.com
Boil 1 cup of water add half teaspoon of salt up to 1 teaspoon, let it cool before using. Use a dropper to rinse the eye. After a few days make up another batch . Salt is a natural antibiotic and kills bacteria on contact.
thumbsup.gif
Thanks for tips.

just thought I'd give a quick update - 'Daisy the Duck' seems to be on the mend - I washed it with the saline as suggested and it has cleared up quite a bit - not as irritated. I didn't see anything in there however it was inflamed and had some skin over the corner of her eye (if that makes sense) - I will wash it again tomorrow and see how she is. If still irritated in the morning I will go to the chemist and get some eye ointment for her and go from there. Vet just isn't an option as they charge a fortune over here to just walk through the door :(

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again :)
That's good news!! She could have gotten popped in the eye by another duck too. on accident or purpose sometimes they can act like kids. lol Glad she is looking better.

Back
Top Bottom