Duck hatch help please

carzan

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2016
Western KY
I've read through so many threads, but it as hoping to get some help! My ONE surviving duck egg (not sure of day as it was under a broody hen in the coop for about 2 weeks) internally pipped over 48 hours ago. The egg has been frantically rocking and pecking noise with no progress. This morning I started making a tiny safety hole and could immediately see his little beak. After chipping a little more it appears that he is stuck. His inner membrane is dry and like paper. I tried take a picture, but it is difficult to see.. any advice on if I should go ahead and intervene?

Thanks! I opened up a little more around the air sac area and you were right! Very very dry.. he is wiggling and chirping like crazy, but hasn't made any progress at all..

I see a lot of veins still, so he's wiggling to get the blood flow moving to absorb those... not quite ready yet, so just hang in there... once those recede, he'll let you know when he's ready, he'll start struggling like crazy if he's stuck, or he'll pop out if not...

Looks good and nice clear bill... great job! :)

I saw this on the Internet and it seemed like a good idea, especially for a lone chick or duckling. Feather dusters for snuggling, lol. Also, a little (safe) stuffed animal or unbreakable mirror will help him to feel less alone.

A good picture is really necessary here. Is it pipped at the correct end (fat end)? How much did you peel away? If the membrane is dry, you can try wrapping the egg in a damp paper towel. I am not a very experienced hatcher, but I know @Lacrystol has talked many people through their hatches. @casportpony and @learycow are also experienced hatchers and very knowledgeable. Hopefully someone will chime in. Best of luck!

They will rest, so dont panic too soon. I'll be on the big computer in a few minutes and will take a look at the pics.
Sorry, I just saw the notification of the tag.

Applied gasoline and it's working much better!! I think that may be a vein? I'm pretty sure I can see his body now and it's like most of the membrane is clear and he is black.. he is a ruen (may have spelled that wrong).. thank you all again for the time you are taking to help me out :)

Thank you all so much! His navel looks great! Nothing sticking out at all and closed up :)I'll post a picture later when he dries out..

Congratulations! I just read that entire post and was so engrosseed hoping for a great outcome. Good job on your assist! And I just want to say to all the people who post on this forum.....what a great bunch of caring and helpful people! The amount of info and knowledge shared here is wonderful. It's a great place to learn. Not all the posts have great outcomes, but we learn from them too.

Back
Top Bottom