Duck Hatching Chicken Eggs

Violinturtle

Hatching
5 Years
May 11, 2014
One of my ducks decided to go broody on some chicken eggs that were in a nest. I decided to leave her and see what happened. I have never given any of my birds an opportunity to try and hatch out any chicks, so I'm fairly new to it all. They are brown eggs so they naturally look a bit darker, but I am not entirely sure what I should be looking for. Is the duck providing the right conditions for the chicken eggs to hatch properly? Any input and tips on anything about hatching would be great! These are some pics of some of the eggs. There are 7 eggs in the nest. They should be anywhere from 12-14 days developed; is this how they should be looking? Sorry for the terrible candling pics; I only have a flashlight, no real candling stuff.

Egg #1

Egg #2

Egg #3

Great!!! Just make sure when they hatch mommy doesn't take them to open water.... keep them safe from that thing with a momma duck... so excited for you..... I think there are chicks developing inside.... don't worry the incubation conditions between ducks and chickens are close... but higher humidity with ducks... even better.... good lucl and keep us posted! !

Looks good to me too. Last year one of my hens hatched 3 ducklings. It was absolutely adorable but boy was she freaked out the first time they went for a swim. I thought she was going to have a stroke! The only problem I've ever heard of was was the Mama duck accidently leading the chicks to water. Good luck;)

I had one that must have either tried to start hatching prematurely or get jostled and crack open yesterday before the blood vessels and the yolk were absorbed so I don't think that one will end up doing well. This morning though I had one hatch completely and another hatch early this evening! The duck is being a good protective mamma so that's good. She wasn't too fond of the second chick at first but I think she's accepting it now. There are still three more eggs in the nest that have potential to hatch so we will wait and see. I'll try and post some pics later :)

I've heard your supposed to cool the eggs for 15 minutes a day on (ducks) and spritz the eggs with water. I haven't done this with the ones that I had in my incubator with chicken eggs. Don't know if this is a must or not. Different theories on this.

here's what the link below said for ducks and geese.
The technique of cooling and misting of the eggs remains controversial though other experienced breeders have employed these techniques (Ashton 1999, Holderread 1981). There appears no clear rationale how this benefits the growing chick though some consider the cooling as beneficial to the chicks stamina. In relation to moisture loss it appears that as the egg cools to the room environment then heat is lost from the egg. It may be argued that rapidly escaping heat from the pores of the eggshell also carries water and gas molecules with it. Certainly there is evidence that daily cooling appears to improve hatch rates in domestic geese. The misting of eggs with tepid water at first appears illogical in stimulating water loss but this may increase further heat loss by evaporation.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

Back
Top Bottom