Duck hatching

Aug 18, 2018
Hi i am new to the forum and new to duck hatching. I have fertilized eggs in my brisnea 20 incubator which are on day 23 today. I understand from reading that i need to stop turning the eggs 3 or 4 days before hatch date and up the humiditity and lock down. I am wondering if 65% rh is the right temperature and if i should accomplish this today in prepatation for the hatch? Any tips anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

:welcome I had a good hatch of duck eggs in the same make and model incubator as yours :) They are great incubators!

You can remove the turner (if using one) about 3 days before they are due to hatch and then bump the humidity to around 65%. I removed the tray the eggs were in and put a cleaning cloth (brand new, unused) over the water reservoirs, dipping it slightly into the reservoirs, which I kept filled. The cloth was kept damp and that was enough to keep the humidity at the required levels. If needed, you can feed a cool drink straw through the little ventilation hole on top to put more water in there, instead of taking the lid off each time.

Also remove the dividers that are in-between the eggs, if you're using them, when you stop turning. I found it easier to carefully pull those up and out with the eggs in place, instead of removing the eggs and then the spacers.

Best of luck with your hatch and please keep us posted!

:welcome I had a good hatch of duck eggs in the same make and model incubator as yours :) They are great incubators!

You can remove the turner (if using one) about 3 days before they are due to hatch and then bump the humidity to around 65%. I removed the tray the eggs were in and put a cleaning cloth (brand new, unused) over the water reservoirs, dipping it slightly into the reservoirs, which I kept filled. The cloth was kept damp and that was enough to keep the humidity at the required levels. If needed, you can feed a cool drink straw through the little ventilation hole on top to put more water in there, instead of taking the lid off each time.

Also remove the dividers that are in-between the eggs, if you're using them, when you stop turning. I found it easier to carefully pull those up and out with the eggs in place, instead of removing the eggs and then the spacers.

Best of luck with your hatch and please keep us posted!

thank you for the reply. Very helpful. Can i ask what you mean by "cleaning cloth" and is it specific to this incubator or hatching? I only have 2 eggs that made it this far and have them sitting upright in the incubator with the air pocket at the top. Do they need to stay in this position for lock down? I worry if they do as i dont know how to maintain it.

thank you for the reply. Very helpful. Can i ask what you mean by "cleaning cloth" and is it specific to this incubator or hatching? I only have 2 eggs that made it this far and have them sitting upright in the incubator with the air pocket at the top. Do they need to stay in this position for lock down? I worry if they do as i dont know how to maintain it.
The "cleaning cloth" I used is those lightweight ones you buy in multi packs and use for wiping kitchen counters, etc. They are thin and usually blue coloured. They worked very well for me as humidity boosters :)

You can let the eggs lie down for lockdown and the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom