Duck Hatching

Brandylyn68

Hatching
Dec 4, 2018
Help!!! I have two ducks that broke threw there shells, but then noticed they have a wet membrane with possible blood vessels... This is my first time hatching.. Hellppp!! !
1204182316.jpg

Help!!! I have two ducks that broke threw there shells, but then noticed they have a wet membrane with possible blood vessels... This is my first time hatching.. Hellppp!! !View attachment 1607925
I'm not an eggspert with hatching, but to me that looks not too bad, keeping the membrane wet with some coconut-oil, that's what i would do and hands off for the next 8 hours at least, maybe @casportpony is here?

:welcome

Did you remove the shell? As there are still blood vessels visible the duckling is not ready to hatch. All the blood needs to be absorbed before it can hatch successfully. This can take many hours especially with water fowl. From initial external pip it can take 24 - 48 hours for them to begin their zip. I’ve even had goslings take 72 hours before they zipped the shell & hatched.

Are you hatching under a broody?

:welcome

Did you remove the shell? As there are still blood vessels visible the duckling is not ready to hatch. All the blood needs to be absorbed before it can hatch successfully. This can take many hours especially with water fowl. From initial external pip it can take 24 - 48 hours for them to begin their zip. I’ve even had goslings take 72 hours before they zipped the shell & hatched.

Are you hatching under a broody?
No, mama duck cracked the egg. That's what she's been doing to all of them once they get in the air sacs.. This is the first one out of 30 eggs so far that's made it.

I now have another just like it that mom broke.... IDK why she's doing it, I thought maybe because they were dead but now wondering if she didn't kill them, cause the two I have are alive and doing well

Yes she is first time.. This is her second laying 15 first time none made it. And out of 15 this time I have 4 total. I will attach pictures.
I've heart that sometimes inexperienced Chicken moms peck open their eggs when they hear the chicks peeping… Do you have an incubator? You might want to take over before momma causes more havoc.

Back
Top Bottom