Duck Help

BrownRanch

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2022
Hello, I am in need of some help! We have chickens, ducks, and turkeys and last week we noticed our Pekin Drake wasn't able to walk. He had black spots on the pads/heels of both of his feet and one that is pretty swollen. I soaked in epsom salt, wrapped in antibacterial, and was able to get the scab off thinking it was bumblefoot, but there was no 'kernel' to remove. I started him on 250 fishmox on Friday, he is putting a little weight on it, but not much improvement. Any thought on if it is bunblefoot, just too far gone? Or an actual injury to his leg/ankle?

Attachments

• 20221109_131851.jpg
    20221109_131851.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221109_131702.jpg
    20221109_131702.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221109_131652.jpg
    20221109_131652.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221109_131551.jpg
    20221109_131551.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221109_130732.jpg
    20221109_130732.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 10
Hello, I am in need of some help! We have chickens, ducks, and turkeys and last week we noticed our Pekin Drake wasn't able to walk. He had black spots on the pads/heels of both of his feet and one that is pretty swollen. I soaked in epsom salt, wrapped in antibacterial, and was able to get the scab off thinking it was bumblefoot, but there was no 'kernel' to remove. I started him on 250 fishmox on Friday, he is putting a little weight on it, but not much improvement. Any thought on if it is bunblefoot, just too far gone? Or an actual injury to his leg/ankle?
certainly looks like bumbles to me, the infection can spread to joints which may explain the swelling. I'm sure more experienced members will be online soon to advise you on home remedies and treatments, but I just want to ask if a vet is an option here? I think he could definitely benefit from antibiotics. And boots/wrapping his feet would be a good idea to keep his feet clean, and keep treatment on. Are you using triple antibiotic ointment (without pain relief)?
How many times have you done the epsom salt soaks- how many before removing the scab, and how often since?

I can't suggest too much here, but I'm sending my support and best wishes for your lovely drake :hugs

That is a bad case of bumblefoot. I'm particularly concerned about the leg that is swollen. Like mentioned above, the infection can spread to the joint and then you definitely need a vet because it's not really something you can cure at home. A distinct kernel has never come out for me when I've worked on my ducks' bumblefoot - those people are lucky. I just try to pull the scab and any gunky stuff I see out, pack with the triple antibiotic without pain reliever, cover with a gauze and hold that in place with vet wrap. Then keep the duck out of the water and mud in a dry area and keep bandaged until it's scabbed over. If the new scab is getting lighter brown that's a good sign. But you may need to work on the duck's foot many times, but make sure to give him a break in between, and give him a good swim while the foot is scabbed over. I really hope you have the vet as an option though because that swelling looks very painful and I think you're going to need help due to how advanced it is. It's a great idea to review the area you keep your ducks and make sure the surfaces are soft, and also to check your ducks feet every couple weeks to make sure if a bumble is starting you catch it small, since it's so much easier to take care of.

certainly looks like bumbles to me, the infection can spread to joints which may explain the swelling. I'm sure more experienced members will be online soon to advise you on home remedies and treatments, but I just want to ask if a vet is an option here? I think he could definitely benefit from antibiotics. And boots/wrapping his feet would be a good idea to keep his feet clean, and keep treatment on. Are you using triple antibiotic ointment (without pain relief)?
How many times have you done the epsom salt soaks- how many before removing the scab, and how often since?

I can't suggest too much here, but I'm sending my support and best wishes for your lovely drake :hugs
Thanks for the support! The vets in town don't see birds, I have tried before with chickens :( I have soaked it on and off for the last week, sometimes twice a day sometimes once depending on how he did the first time. I am using triple antibiotic ointment when I wrap it, but I have been taking the wrap off at night to let it air out. Maybe I will quit doing that.

That is a bad case of bumblefoot. I'm particularly concerned about the leg that is swollen. Like mentioned above, the infection can spread to the joint and then you definitely need a vet because it's not really something you can cure at home. A distinct kernel has never come out for me when I've worked on my ducks' bumblefoot - those people are lucky. I just try to pull the scab and any gunky stuff I see out, pack with the triple antibiotic without pain reliever, cover with a gauze and hold that in place with vet wrap. Then keep the duck out of the water and mud in a dry area and keep bandaged until it's scabbed over. If the new scab is getting lighter brown that's a good sign. But you may need to work on the duck's foot many times, but make sure to give him a break in between, and give him a good swim while the foot is scabbed over. I really hope you have the vet as an option though because that swelling looks very painful and I think you're going to need help due to how advanced it is. It's a great idea to review the area you keep your ducks and make sure the surfaces are soft, and also to check your ducks feet every couple weeks to make sure if a bumble is starting you catch it small, since it's so much easier to take care of.
I was worried about it just being a really bad case 😕 I mentioned above our vets don't really see farm animals, let alone birds. There are branches in the yard where they roam, its kind of wooded, that's the only thing I can think of.

Once you've done a little "surgery" I would leave the wrap on for a day or two and let a scab form before soaking again. You don't want any dirt or germs to get into the open wound, so leave the bandage on at night if the wound is not scabbed over.

Yeah, that's hard on the vets. I have access to an avian/exotic vet, but I haven't had much success with their skill. I do think your guy has a pretty advanced case with the swelling moving up the leg, so you can keep up what you're doing and see if there's improvement, and overall monitor him to make sure he's not suffering too much :(

Ditto to what the others have said and keep up with the fishmox, but you need to bump up the dosage since he's a Pekin and they tend to be big boys. I would do the full 14-day regimen since his foot/joint is quite swollen.

@ruthhope is there any form of antibiotics that you know of, that OP could access and use here? With the infection potentially spreading, I feel that could really help to get it under control.
Topical antibiotics: triple antibiotic ointment that the OP has been using.

A veterinary prescript is required for suitable oral antibiotics

Back
Top Bottom