Duck House Plans/Ideas

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by astronomer, Oct 7, 2014.

1. astronomer

astronomer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    I need to build a house for my 10 ducks (and 4 neighborhood ducks if I can coax them in).
    I'm looking at these plans:

http://www.homegardendesignplan.com/2011/06/chicken-coop-l102-117x334x132.html

I would modify them a bit. I don't need the run, as they have their run of a 3 acre pond during the day, and the neighborhood loves them waddling into their yards that are adjacent to the pond.

I also don't need it to be that tall. Ducks don't need perches like chickens, so I could bring the roof down several feet.

Do you think that's big enough for 10-14 ducks? 5X5 or 6X6? Mine all seem to huddle together when they sleep, so I don't see how they need a ton of room.

Also, do ducks really benefit from having nesting boxes? If so, I'll keep them in my build.

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

3. hennible

Are you building on stilts like in the plan? A lot of people seem to have trouble with ducks using ramps... Mine use the ramp into their pool just fine though, just a thought.

4. astronomer

astronomer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    If I do build it on stilts, they won't be very tall. Just enough to keep the bottom off the ground to prevent rot.

5. hennible

I see. Good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by