Duck injury question

Thanks! She didn't really eat much today, but she did drink a lot. I heard Apple cider vinegar helps them get hungry so we'll try that in her water bowl tomorrow. I'm gonna give her another bath tomorrow she was able to give her nose a good cleaning. She still sounds funny almost like a whistle sound there is definitely still some stuff in there. She was not happy with me holding her so I made it quick. I did notice this weird white looking tube on her wing. At first I thought it was a bone so I panicked, but I'm pretty sure it was a feather shaft. There was no blood and it was empty so I left it alone, but now that I know where it is I'll try to take a better look tomorrow! Thanks again everyone, especially Miss Lydia! Hopefully this thread can help others with the same issue! I'm thinking about changing the title.

Last edited:
Thanks! She didn't really eat much today, but she did drink a lot. I heard Apple cider vinegar helps them get hungry so we'll try that in her water bowl tomorrow. I'm gonna give her another bath tomorrow she was able to give her nose a good cleaning. She still sounds funny almost like a whistle sound there is definitely still some stuff in there. She was not happy with me holding her so I made it quick. I did notice this weird white looking tube on her wing. At first I thought it was a bone so I panicked, but I'm pretty sure it was a feather shaft. There was no blood and it was empty so I left it alone, but now that I know where it is I'll try to take a better look tomorrow! Thanks again everyone, especially Miss Lydia! Hopefully this thread can help others with the same issue! I'm thinking about changing the title.
Apple cider vinegar is a very good tonic 1-2 Tab to 1 gal of water. It can help with her nares to so put it into a deep bowl so she can clean them out good with it, it can kill off some bacteria. Sometimes making their feed mixed with some warm water entices them to eat, try a small amount first . Drinking is good though you don't want her dehydrated. ACV will help with electrolytes too. Hopefully today she will feel like eating too.

I got my apple cider vinegar, also bought her some organic unsweetened apple sauce maybe that will be easier for her to eat. She's in the tub right now swimming around cleaning herself so hopefully we make some more progress today!

I got my apple cider vinegar, also bought her some organic unsweetened apple sauce maybe that will be easier for her to eat. She's in the tub right now swimming around cleaning herself so hopefully we make some more progress today!
Let me know if she like the apple sauce. Maybe put a few dried meal worms in the sauce to entice her to eat. How does she look and act?

She's doing pretty good, she's not as excited as she was yesterday to be in the tub. She seems to be focusing on cleaning out her nose. Everything on her looks much cleaner. She's a Ancona duck would you happen to know what color her skin should be on the back of her neck? She it be tight, loose, maybe a little bit of both?

Last edited:
She's doing pretty good, she's not as excited as she was yesterday to be in the tub. She seems to be focusing on cleaning out her nose. Everything on her looks much cleaner. She's a Ancona duck would you happen to know what color her skin should be on the back of her neck? She it be tight, loose, maybe a little bit of both?
I'm sorry I don't know what color their skin should be, I have Muscovy. But I'd think the skin should be tight not loose I looked in my Raising Ducks book under Ancona and thee description only talks about color of feather and bill size. Seeing anything come out of her bill into the water? and how does the cut on her face look? where exactly is it?

Thanks for looking! The skin is pretty tight. Nothing comes out when she puts in in the water. The cut still looks the same and its more towards the back of her face. I guess the best way to describe it would be if you're looking at a ducks eye her cut is behind it and you would go maybe a centimeter down and there it is. I hope that wasn't confusing, would it be easier to take some pictures?

Thanks for looking! The skin is pretty tight. Nothing comes out when she puts in in the water. The cut still looks the same and its more towards the back of her face. I guess the best way to describe it would be if you're looking at a ducks eye her cut is behind it and you would go maybe a centimeter down and there it is. I hope that wasn't confusing, would it be easier to take some pictures?
You could I was just trying to think if the cut could be through to the sinus but that sounds like it would be too far away sinus would probably be more like under the eye. All cuts look superficial ?

I got a better look the cuts are definitely small the one on the side of her face is still scabby so I guess that's good. I put the apple sauce in the cage and mixed the apple cider vinegar in the water and I'll check her again in a little bit. I think she likes to eat in private!

I got a better look the cuts are definitely small the one on the side of her face is still scabby so I guess that's good. I put the apple sauce in the cage and mixed the apple cider vinegar in the water and I'll check her again in a little bit. I think she likes to eat in private!
I hope she eats. I'm glad to hear all wounds are small. you still need to keep and eye on the cuts though for festering which could mean infection but sounds good so far. how about nares did she still sound wheezy after her bath?

Back
Top Bottom