Duck injury question

jzervas92

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
New York
Hi there everyone I'm new to ducks, and my coop got attacked by a sneaky predator and I lost two chickens. I also noticed my duck was covered in blood but still alive. So I brought her inside, cleaned her up, and filled up the bathtub to let her clean herself and she did. She has a patch of feathers ripped out on the side of her neck, and a small cut on her face. One of her nostrils has died blood in it, but I wasn't sure if I should clean it out. We put some first aid cream on her and a bandage. We have her in a large dog cage right now with some food and water. We used hay for the bedding. She's acting like nothing even happened, and she loved when I filled the tub for her. So she's being her usual self, nothing out of the normal. Is there anything I need to look for, anything I should buy her? Should I be keeping her in a warmer place? I have her in the garage right now, and its warm in there but I didn't want her to get used to the heat of the house. Also I'm going out soon to buy some wheat germ and apple cider vinegar to give to her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Thank you for the response! I'm pretty sure we found them all, she only had one small cut and her neck seems good. I didn't want to stress her out to much so I tried to keep it quick so she can rest. She didn't try to clean her nose, but I don't think I gave her enough time to. Only one nostril has blood in it and it seems to be dried up but I'll keep an eye on it. I'm going to let her swim again later. Should I try to gently clean out her nostril with a toothpick if she decides she doesn't want to clean it? I'll also have to check again if the cream had pain relief, I feel like it did. If it did should I clean it off and try something different, is the pain relief going to hurt her? I'll pick up some vitamins too while I'm still out. I had to build the run on a incline I definitely think the run door came lose or it squeezed through a crack. Ive seen raccoons squeeze through some tight spaces. I'm redoing the whole run today and switching the netting on top to fencing. I'm also going to check over the coop. I'm surprised it attacked so early, I'm usually very good with being on time but predators will do anything when their hungry!
Yes they will they are relentless,If your cream had pain relief you need to get it off because anything especially ending in caine can kill poultry. When you put her in the tub of warm water hopefully she'll do the whole head washing thing and clean out her nares I wouldn't try sticking anything in there unless they are clogged with blood. But usually that's the first thing they want to do when they get into water is clean out those nares. I am glad she wasn't injured any worse now you just need to watch for infection so many animals have nasty bacteria in their mouths But hopefully that won't happen, ducks are absolutely amazing how they can come back from an injury if given a chance. Keep us posted on how she is doing please. And lets hope this time with you enforcing your coop this won't happen again. if she will be in with chickens and her wounds are visible I would wait to put her back or get blue kote to spray and cover her wounds, chickens are drawn to wounds that are opened or red in color and can really make matters worse real fast.

hugs.gif

Hi there everyone I'm new to ducks, and my coop got attacked by a sneaky predator and I lost two chickens. I also noticed my duck was covered in blood but still alive. So I brought her inside, cleaned her up, and filled up the bathtub to let her clean herself and she did. She has a patch of feathers ripped out on the side of her neck, and a small cut on her face. One of her nostrils has died blood in it, but I wasn't sure if I should clean it out. We put some first aid cream on her and a bandage. We have her in a large dog cage right now with some food and water. We used hay for the bedding. She's acting like nothing even happened, and she loved when I filled the tub for her. So she's being her usual self, nothing out of the normal. Is there anything I need to look for, anything I should buy her? Should I be keeping her in a warmer place? I have her in the garage right now, and its warm in there but I didn't want her to get used to the heat of the house. Also I'm going out soon to buy some wheat germ and apple cider vinegar to give to her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
As long as you have cleaned her wounds and found them all I'd say you've covered it very well. Some kind first aid cream or triple antibiotic salve will work but nothing with pain relief in it and did she wash her face real good when you put her in the tub? any more blood coming from her nostrils?keep an eye on the neck if the wound isn't deep maybe take the bandage off after today so air can get to the wound but keep antibiotic cream on it till healed. Now get your coop fortified or what ever got in will be back to finish off who's left. Very sorry for your losses. Also she may or may not need an antibiotic so watch the wound for smell, redness etc, but getting her some good quality poultry vitamins will help to keep her immune system going while recovering.

Thank you for the response! I'm pretty sure we found them all, she only had one small cut and her neck seems good. I didn't want to stress her out to much so I tried to keep it quick so she can rest. She didn't try to clean her nose, but I don't think I gave her enough time to. Only one nostril has blood in it and it seems to be dried up but I'll keep an eye on it. I'm going to let her swim again later. Should I try to gently clean out her nostril with a toothpick if she decides she doesn't want to clean it? I'll also have to check again if the cream had pain relief, I feel like it did. If it did should I clean it off and try something different, is the pain relief going to hurt her? I'll pick up some vitamins too while I'm still out. I had to build the run on a incline I definitely think the run door came lose or it squeezed through a crack. Ive seen raccoons squeeze through some tight spaces. I'm redoing the whole run today and switching the netting on top to fencing. I'm also going to check over the coop. I'm surprised it attacked so early, I'm usually very good with being on time but predators will do anything when their hungry!

I will definitely keep you posted! As soon as I get home I'll wipe it off of her, and I'll give her a longer bath this time I was so nervous before! I'm probably going to keep her away from the chickens for a while I know they can be nasty little buggers with blood. Thanks again for your help! I have normal neosporin without the pain relief is that better?

I will definitely keep you posted! As soon as I get home I'll wipe it off of her, and I'll give her a longer bath this time I was so nervous before! I'm probably going to keep her away from the chickens for a while I know they can be nasty little buggers with blood. Thanks again for your help! I have normal neosporin without the pain relief is that better?
Yes that is good stuff. Probably a good bath will take care of any left over pain ointment.

We cleaned her up again, and she doesn't seem to be cleaning her nostrils. I cleaned the outside a bit for her and it sounds like she has a stuffy nose when she breathes. I didn't notice before but she's shaking a little bit. I gave her a few strawberries and she didn't even touch them!

We cleaned her up again, and she doesn't seem to be cleaning her nostrils. I cleaned the outside a bit for her and it sounds like she has a stuffy nose when she breathes. I didn't notice before but she's shaking a little bit. I gave her a few strawberries and she didn't even touch them!
She maybe in shock so you need to actually keep her fairly warm right now, shaking can mean shock or cold I'd bring her inside the house and put her where it's quiet but warm. and dim the lights. the cut on her face is it deep and could it be into her sinus? Not much you can do right now if she doesn't want to dunk her head just keep her quiet and warm for now. keep checking on her though in case she gets worse. not wanting to eat is typical of shock too. Your sure you found all wounds?

I didn't realize how cold it was in the garage so I moved her in the house and turned the heat up. She stopped shaking and she's been eating and drinking. She just loves strawberries I feel so bad that she won't touch them. I'll try watermelon in the morning that's her favorite! I checked over her again I still see the same wounds. She does have one on the side of her face so it could be bleeding but nothing is coming out of her nose it's just inside. All the cuts aren't bleeding anymore, I'm going to let her rest and give an update in the morning. Thanks again for being so helpful I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom