Duck injury!

DidUWatrDaHerbs

Hatching
Apr 10, 2017
Hey yall. I have two rouens and two pekin ducks. They are about two months old and have all been super close until recently. One of my rouens started pulling feathers out of my pekin and now both rouens have relentlessly been pecking at the pekins. I know some feather pulling is normal duck behavior but it has me worried. I have seperated the rouens and pekins to avoid further injury but have a couple questions- will this behavior stop once Thyme heals up? And will my sweet baby heal? She is strong, eating and drinking and behaving normally. I have been washing the wound with warm water and applying neosporane daily but she has quite the bald spot. Ill try to figure out how to post a picture. Just learned how to post text.

You're doing everything I would have... if they are being relentlessly mean I would have separated also. Since they are 2 months old they should be outside by now right? What kind of run do you have set up and what sex are they drakes and hens is it an even split or all hens?

You're doing everything I would have... if they are being relentlessly mean I would have separated also.  Since they are 2 months old they should be outside by now right?  What kind of run do you have set up and what sex are they drakes and hens is it an even split or all hens?

We have made a coop which we have divided (rouens on one side, pekins on the other because i am afraid ill wake up to Thyme dead not able to escape Basil and Rosemary the rouens). They have a basic run with pond and plenty of roaming space. They also free range when my dogs are safely inside. They spend all their time outdoors unless we have a crazy Texas storm. I have not been able to see which are drakes yet. (I bought unsexed ducklings). They have just started attempting to make big duck sounds so im just waiting to hear some quacks. Their adult feathers have started to come in but have not seen a drake feather as of yet.
Im hoping the rouen behavior will change. The rouens wont let the pekins in the pond.

Back
Top Bottom