Duck Integration Information Overload

Wondering about how to integrate her with the chickens. My chickens are not aggressive at all and took to my ducks just fine when they were little. Not sure how they'll react to a big duck. Or vice versa. Will she be ok with my many chickens?

I know how to deal with aggressive chickens. How do you deal with an aggressive duck? Is it the similar?

My chickens didn't mind when I introduced the runner ducks to their pen. If your chickens are used to ducks, they probably won't even pay attention to the new duck.
When you have aggressive ducks, if needed separate. But, sometimes it works and sometimes it's an act of dominance. You just need to know when to intervene and when to leave it alone.

My chickens didn't mind when I introduced the runner ducks to their pen. If your chickens are used to ducks, they probably won't even pay attention to the new duck.
When you have aggressive ducks, if needed separate. But, sometimes it works and sometimes it's an act of dominance. You just need to know when to intervene and when to leave it alone.
I've been watching her for a while this morning. She doesn't seem to know how to be a duck. I cleaned their pool out and refilled it this morning. My ducks went crazy (as usual). Julep stuck her bill in it and waddled away. My girls are preening now, and Julep is preening with them, but she's never seen another duck before, and I don't know that she's ever been swimming.

I introduced her to my chickens. My bottom of the pecking order girl is NOT impressed and has gone after her a bit. Julep has now taken to nipping at their tails if they get close. I think she's a lil scared, which makes sense given how much has happened this weekend.

For the most part, my chickens are indifferent, just as you'd expect divas to be.

Julep laid an egg this morning. And I'm sure people will think I'm stupid, but I went ahead and let her mingle with the ducks this morning. All seems fine.
Sometimes ducks can integrate really smoothly. I always suggest taking it slow, because there are a lot of times it doesn't. You just have to play it by ear. Sounds like it is going well so far.

I've been watching her for a while this morning. She doesn't seem to know how to be a duck. I cleaned their pool out and refilled it this morning. My ducks went crazy (as usual). Julep stuck her bill in it and waddled away. My girls are preening now, and Julep is preening with them, but she's never seen another duck before, and I don't know that she's ever been swimming.
So Pekin are terrible at cleaning themselves. There are often times I have to put mine in the pool because she will need a bath. Sometimes she is better at cleaning herself. I have watched her dip her beak in water and then act like she is throwing water over her back and cleaning. I have also had to clean her eye out with saline because she will not put her head in water, only when she swims.

I have also noticed Pekins pig out on food more than my other breeds. I had to feed them twice a day because when they were free feed they ate too much food. Mine also is the only one who will not eat her oyster shells, hopefully you won't have that issue too.

Sometimes ducks can integrate really smoothly. I always suggest taking it slow, because there are a lot of times it doesn't. You just have to play it by ear. Sounds like it is going well so far.

So Pekin are terrible at cleaning themselves. There are often times I have to put mine in the pool because she will need a bath. Sometimes she is better at cleaning herself. I have watched her dip her beak in water and then act like she is throwing water over her back and cleaning. I have also had to clean her eye out with saline because she will not put her head in water, only when she swims.

I have also noticed Pekins pig out on food more than my other breeds. I had to feed them twice a day because when they were free feed they ate too much food. Mine also is the only one who will not eat her oyster shells, hopefully you won't have that issue too.
Very helpful info! Thanks! Maybe I'll put her in the pool once she feels a little more at ease.

She did, however, go to the coop with the other ducks tonight. So far, not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom