Duck Integration Information Overload

Pics

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
I am a glutton. I am picking up a rescued hen tomorrow. I will quarantine her for 30 days (poor, lonely thing - but I can't risk it with chickens!) and I am thinking of picking up a duck that someone a few towns over can't keep.

I read EVERY post and article I could find on the topic of duck quarantine periods. Some say 30 days. Some say 6-8 weeks. Some say 2 weeks. Others say 1 week, and still others say that quarantine isn't necessarily required with ducks. I have quarantined chickens before, so I know about how to quarantine. And this is 1 only little female I'll be adding to my flock of 4 females.

Is there a definitive answer for duck quarantine? Gahhhh! I'm on information overload!

Sorry I cant help you very much here,,, I am one that is not really on the quarantine wagon. Let me explain my position, and reasoning.
REAL QUARANTINE is complex. You would need to keep your new arrival a considerable distance away, from the other flock members. In addition, you would need to change your clothing and shoes when you go from one to the other. Poultry inspectors do such when they go from one farm to the next.
But lets go to the reality of a mini quarantine... It is better than none at all. If you observe the new-comer with respiratory issues,,,then you would have to decline adding to your flock. I will leave those options to the individual to decide how to handle that.
I think a 2 week period of observation should show what the condition of new comers health is. We don't live in the IDEAL or perfect UNIVERSE.

I do practice BIO-SECURITY, when I visit other chicken keepers. Before going to their place, I shower,,,, I put on fresh clothes that have not been in contact with my chickens. My flock does not carry any diseases,,, that I am aware of.. but I do it for SAFETY MEASURES.

WISHING YOU BEST WITH new duckie :hugs

I agree, rarely does my dh mention how many birds I have. He knows it wouldn't do any good. ;)

So are you going to pick them up?
I am not sure yet. The person hasn't replied since our initial conversation.

Here's the duck in question:

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2
The duck looks like Cayuga, they get white speckled like that. My youngest runner is blk and she is 2 yrs old and very white speckled almost as much as my 5 yr olds. So this dick is probably at least 2, or close to it. Very pretty. I hope you can bring her home she needs a flock.
@shawluvsbirds has Cayugas.
Sorry it didn't work out with the mama hen and chicks. It would be pretty easy to set them up with a safe space inside a coop though if you wanted to try.
Yep. Looks like a
Pretty Cayuga duck to moi 🤗

Owner says her duck and both the chickens are female. Oooh.... I am so tempted.... Apparently, she is moving and can't take them. I definitely want the duckie if she appears healthy (she looks great in the pics, but we'll see), but the chickens....

I am cutting it kinda close with the number if birds I have. I have room, but I am nearing the minimum space per birds threshold. I hate to leave them... And they ARE bantams....

WHY???? Why do these birds have to be do addictive???!?!!?

Taking the duck and waiting to see if the chickens find homes is a reasonable way to go. How soon are they moving?
I don't know yet. I asked, but I'm waiting for a reply. I doubt she'll get back to me until tomorrow.

The duck looks smaller than a Pekin to me, too. But, gosh I love the classic white duckie look! I just know I'm going to end up with a gazillion birds.

POTATO CHIPS.

Back
Top Bottom