Duck Integration Information Overload

I would put a fence between them. From my experience, the first time ducks need to accept newcomers, they are not the greatest at it. If they nip at the fence or vibrate their head at them, those are signs you will need to take your time adding her in. Once they start to lay down next to each other along the fence, that is when I would let them free range together.

These ducks in the back here are a little too interested in the ducklings. But they had never seen a duckling before.

DSC_0717.JPG

Julep laid an egg this morning. And I'm sure people will think I'm stupid, but I went ahead and let her mingle with the ducks this morning. All seems fine.
Sometimes ducks can integrate really smoothly. I always suggest taking it slow, because there are a lot of times it doesn't. You just have to play it by ear. Sounds like it is going well so far.

I've been watching her for a while this morning. She doesn't seem to know how to be a duck. I cleaned their pool out and refilled it this morning. My ducks went crazy (as usual). Julep stuck her bill in it and waddled away. My girls are preening now, and Julep is preening with them, but she's never seen another duck before, and I don't know that she's ever been swimming.
So Pekin are terrible at cleaning themselves. There are often times I have to put mine in the pool because she will need a bath. Sometimes she is better at cleaning herself. I have watched her dip her beak in water and then act like she is throwing water over her back and cleaning. I have also had to clean her eye out with saline because she will not put her head in water, only when she swims.

I have also noticed Pekins pig out on food more than my other breeds. I had to feed them twice a day because when they were free feed they ate too much food. Mine also is the only one who will not eat her oyster shells, hopefully you won't have that issue too.

I'm unable to do much work in the coop today. I'm prepping for Thanksgiving because I just found out I'm expecting more people tomorrow, so that means rearranging furniture. I have a small house now that 2/3 of the kids are gone. Only thing is, when they leave, the next time they visit, they often have significant others. And one of goat has scours. That's never fun.

Anyhoo, Julep continues to adjust. She's already learned which chickens not to harass. And she's decided she doesn't like the rooster. Can't say I blame her. He is a bit high strung.

Here she is chilling with the other ducks:
20211124_125158.jpg

REAL QUARANTINE is complex. You would need to keep your new arrival a considerable distance away, from the other flock members. In addition, you would need to change your clothing and shoes when you go from one to the other.
This is what I attempted to do when I integrated 2 rescue hens. I had thr nee girls in a separate yard, and I wore coveralls, gloves, and a different pair of shoes when tending to them. Lol! I did my best to fo real quarantine. Don't know how well I executed it, though.

That's so sweet of you @Aunt Angus ❤️
Not sure DH sees it that way, but thanks! I feel kind of... obligated? I have the room and the means. Seems wrong to not help as long (as it's not detrimental to my existing flock).

At least you got a reply. I have tried many times for the lone runner and still nothing.
Bonus: my husband loves our runner ducks. They love him because he would feed them fresh cherry tomatoes every time he walked by the pen. They saw him today while I was out there and just chatted him up. He also likes my polish pullet. He's coming around. He used to not really care about my chickens and ducks. 😁 Oh, he does like my main drake since he's quite sassy usually. When he was free ranging he would come running to see who was coming out of the house - when it was my husband - he would turn the other way. 🤣

At least you got a reply. I have tried many times for the lone runner and still nothing.
Bonus: my husband loves our runner ducks. They love him because he would feed them fresh cherry tomatoes every time he walked by the pen. They saw him today while I was out there and just chatted him up. He also likes my polish pullet. He's coming around. He used to not really care about my chickens and ducks. 😁 Oh, he does like my main drake since he's quite sassy usually. When he was free ranging he would come running to see who was coming out of the house - when it was my husband - he would turn the other way. 🤣
I find that many husbands are just in denial. They *pretend* they don't like our animals because it would prove we're right about loving them and how much joy they bring.

We have FOUR house cats after getting guilted into taking them. I love cats, but they are trying my patience. Four are too many! I told DH that I was done with cats for a while. He came back with, "Well, one isn't bad..."

Then I caught him looking at kittens for adoption in the newspaper!
🤣🤣🤣

How funny. We don't have cats[we have in the past] but up until a few months ago we had 4 dogs. One had cancer and we had to say good bye to her. So I know how easy it is to go over board. My dh does like the birds he just doesn't spend time with them like I do.
He use to say to me, you have too many birds of course I just ignored him and he never says that any longer.
I did tell him if we ever get another dog it will be little and hairless.:p I am so tired of dog hair all over my socks.

Back
Top Bottom