1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Duck killed need help identifying predator

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by werewolf38, Jul 30, 2014.

1. werewolf38

werewolf38 In the Brooder

One of my two full grown drakes was killed right outside the coop. My female and other drake are ok. The duck was on its back with feathers all around it and the front was eaten clean down to the bone. From about the breast down. Also found possibly the live beside the carcass. I am thinking hawk but no idea. They are in a 25x25 welded wire fence wnclosure with 2x4 openings and its 4 feet high. No evidence of anything going under the fence. The duck house 4x8 is also there but about 2feet from the fence. This happened about 6 pm or perhaps a little before. There are eggs in the house and they weren't touched. Have a woods behind the house . I live in south central Pennsylvania. So was still full daylight out. Help me identify the predator so it can be removed.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chirping

Apr 16, 2014
    It's very difficult to say. A hawk would take a long time to eat a full-grown drake down to the bone. It takes them maybe an hour to pull most of the meat off the carcass and the ones I'v seen take the carcass with them. It seems more likely a large predator—like a raccoon.

This might be helpful: http://www.welphatchery.com/predator_diagnosis?mobile=1
    This also seems to point to a raccoon.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    2x4 opening in the wire and a 4 ft fence height leaves the list wide open on possible predators - none of whom would need to go under the fence, as they could easily pass right through and/or over it. This sounds more like a four-legged suspect, than a winged one.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you posted on Predators and Pests forum?

5. jannakaye

jannakaye Chirping

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Raccoon or possum. Both are absolute pests! I suggest putting out a live trap with some dry cat food and seeing what's in there in the morning, but be careful and don't get bitten. Good luck and sorry about your drake :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: