Duck Layed Once Hasn't Layed Since [Solved]

some of them also don't have time to run back to a laying box to much running to be doing and will lay on the run and make you go find them is what I've heard from people raising them around here. not sure if it's old wives tail though or the people just didn't keep em in before letting em out. but when friends holding pond for water dried up after irrigation water was shut down for the season, boy did she find a bunch of everybody eggs in the bottom where they had to lay but couldn't be bothered to get off the water

Last edited:
Esteban1.jpg
Esteban2.jpg
Esteban3.jpg
Well she has a Runner so she probably won't be seasonal mine haven't been. Mine hatched end of April so they began laying before day light began to shorten and laid a straight 18 months with out taking a break so @Lanklow5790 once your female begins laying you'll have the eggs. Since she has started later in the year though with daylight shortening she may wait till days begin to get longer next year. I agree I don't use extra light. These little things lay so many eggs they need those breaks. Just make sure you feed top quality feed and keep out Oyster shell for her in case she needs the extra calcium. And please post pictures those of us who love our Runners really like to see pics of others who keep them too.
Here are some pictures of her. When she was a duckling we named her Esteban thinking she was a boy but the name seems to have stuck.

Last edited:
Well she has a Runner so she probably won't be seasonal mine haven't been. Mine hatched end of April so they began laying before day light began to shorten and laid a straight 18 months with out taking a break so @Lanklow5790 once your female begins laying you'll have the eggs. Since she has started later in the year though with daylight shortening she may wait till days begin to get longer next year. I agree I don't use extra light. These little things lay so many eggs they need those breaks. Just make sure you feed top quality feed and keep out Oyster shell for her in case she needs the extra calcium. And please post pictures those of us who love our Runners really like to see pics of others who keep them too.
Sorry uploaded duplicates.

Hi,
I have an Indian Runner that just Sexually matured enough to lay her first three eggs. The problem is that she hasn't layed any eggs since. it's been a week since, and we've searched our entire yard and haven't found one egg. We do have a matured drake also, if that changes anything. This is my first time raising ducks so I'm somewhat of a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks guys,
Lanklow5790
Update: She has been laying eggs daily! although I don't think it will last long based on some of the replies to this thread. So thank you guys so much for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom